Data Protection

Request your information   Privacy notices

What is Data Protection?

The Council collects, stores, uses and shares a large amount of personal data every day in order to deliver our services.  This is known as data processing, and to ensure your personal information is processed correctly, the Council must comply with data protection legislation.  The Data Protection Act 1998 has been replaced by the General Data Protection Regulation, which has a direct effect on all EU member states, on 25 May 2018 - you can find out more details about the new regulation from the Information Commissioner's Office.  The Data Protection Act 2018, which updates data protection law in the UK, complements the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation.   Its main provisions commenced on 25th May 2018.   Data Protection Act 2018                      


Data protection legislation controls how your personal information is used.  The main principles are:

  • We only collect information that we need
  • We will keep your personal information secure
  • We don't keep your information longer than necessary
  • We tell you why we need your information, and what we will do with it
  • The information we collect is accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
  • We don't use your information for any purpose other than what we tell you it is collected for (unless required to do so by law)

So what is personal data? 

Personal data is information which can be used to identify you, such as your name, address, date of birth, unique identifiers (for example, National Insurance number) and any other information which can identify a living individual.  More sensitive types of data, known as "special category data" include information about race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, trade union membership, health or sex life.

Your rights

 Data protection legislation provides certain rights to individuals.  Some of these are:

  • The right to be informed about how we collect and use your personal information (see privacy notices below for more details)
  • the right to request information we hold about you.  This is known as a subject access request, full details of how to make a request can be found below.
  • the right to rectification - if we hold factually inaccurate or incomplete information about you, you can make a request to have this rectified.

There are other rights available in certain circumstances, such as the right to erasure, to restrict processing, to data portability and to object.  These are not likely to apply to the processing of data by a local authority, however, you can find out more about these from the Information Commissioner's website.

Subject Access Request (Request your own personal information)

If you wish to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you, this is known as a subject access request.  The easiest way to do this is to complete our subject access request form.  There is no charge for this, however, we may charge a "reasonable fee" in certain circumstances, such as if it is a request for further copies of the same information again.

Download a Subject Access Request form

Privacy information:  The personal information you provide on this form will be used only for the purpose of processing your request for information.  Please see the privacy notice if you would like any more details about what we will do with the information you provide.

We must provide your information to you as soon as possible, and at the latest within 1 month of receiving your request, although this timescale can be extended by up to 2 months where requests are complex or repeated. 

Report a data protection concern

If you are concerned about what we do with your data, or believe something has gone wrong in relation to data protection, you can contact the Council’s Data Protection Officer.

Address: Iain Jackson, Governance and Risk Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Governance and Law, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. 

Email:   or  

Telephone:  01546 604188 or 01546 605522

If you are unhappy with how the Council has handled a complaint about data protection, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s office:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone:  0303 123 1113 

The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland
45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Telephone:  0303 123 1115 

Privacy Notices

You have the right to be informed about what information we collect about you, and what we will do with it.  We use privacy notices for this purpose – every time you provide information about yourself to the Council, you should receive a privacy notice.  You can see all the privacy notices in use by the Council here:

Privacy notices

Activity Agreement Referral
Adult learning and literacies
Bookbug Leaders
Early entry to primary school
Early Learning and Childcare - provision for 2 year olds
Early Learning and Childcare Parent Survey
Early Years grant applications
Early Years Partner Providers
Early Years Request for Support Referrer
Early Years Transport Application
Education - general
Education - Seesaw services
Education - Seesaw UK
Education at home
Education Course Bookings
Education Deferred Entry to Primary School
Education Employer
Education Maintenance Allowance
Education Performing Licence
Education premises key holders
Education Room Bookings
Education Staff
Family Learning
Flexible Learning Plan
Free School Meals and Clothing Grants
Kidzcard/National Entitlement Cards
Parental Involvement and Engagement
Placing requests (for school places)
Primary School room bookings
Provision of music instruction
Pupils engaging with Education Psychology Team
Pupils using the hearing impaired services
Pupils using the visually impaired services
Supply Staff
Visitor books - Online sign in using Passtab
Volunteers in Community Services
Youth Work
Education - Welfare Call
Social care
Adult / Child Protection training course bookings
Adult Services
Children and Families services
Committee and group attendees
Covid-19 Testing
Criminal Justice services
Funding for Residential Care
Residential and Nursing Care
Residential Respite Care
Tigh a’ Rudha Garden Project
Welfare rights
Licensing and regulatory
Animal health
Civic Government Licensing
Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers
Feed Hygiene
Firework displays late at night
Food approval
Food Business Registration
Houses in Multiple Occupancy
Landlord Registration
Legal Services - Commercial
Liquor Licensing
Private Water Supply Grants
Private Water Supply Sampling
Public charitable collections
Regulatory Services - general enquiries
Weighbridge Operator
Application for transport provision - Early Years
Purchasing of tickets for Argyll and Bute Council Ferries
Small contractors
Asset transfers
Blue badge privacy notice
Business Gateway Local Growth Accelerator Programme
Common Good Funds
Community Development
Community Planning
Customer satisfaction surveys - Customer Support Services
Development Policy - Community Food Growing Strategy
Elected Members
Election staff
Elections - candidates and agents
Film Office - Register of locations
Freedom of Information Requests (FOI)
General correspondence
Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
GM Duncan Bequest and Andrew Greenlees Trust
Health and Safety
Housing Service – Provision of Housing Advice
Money Skills Argyll
New Contracts of Employment
No One Left Behind initiative
Outreach activity - Customer Support Services
Participation requests
Polling Station Contacts
Privacy Notice for Contact Centre
Refugee resettlement
Registration (National Records of Scotland)
Registration Testimonial
Special Projects
Subject Access Requests
Sundry debtors
Tigh a’ Rudha - Tiree Garden Project
Training Centre
Planning and building standards
Building Standards
Local Review Body
Local Review Body - interested parties
Proposed Local Development Plan 2
Council tax, rates and benefits
Business Support Fund Application
Coronavirus Bed & Breakfast and Small Serviced Accommodation Provider Hardship Fund Application
Coronavirus Self-Employed Hardship Fund Application
Council tax
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Non domestic rates
Scottish Welfare Fund
Roads and amenities
Commercial Waste
Iona Vehicle Permits
Parking enforcement
Road permits
Roads and Amenity Services - general correspondence
Commercial services
Major Projects Client Management Team