Community Planning - Privacy Statement

A new data protection law was introduced on 25th May 2018. As a result, we've updated our Privacy Notice to make it easier for you to find out how we use, process and protect your information.

What information do we need? 

Argyll and Bute Council will act as the ‘Data Controller’ for the personal data you provide to us. The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation, can be contacted as follows:

Address: Iain Jackson, Governance and Risk Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Governance and Law, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. 

Email:   or  

Telephone:  01546 604188 or 01546 605522 

The information we need to collect will include basic personal data such as name and contact details, however we will also need special categories of data such as health information related to dietary needs for catering at events. 


Why we need this information?

Your information is being collected to provide you with the support you need from Community Planning. We need to know your personal data in order to provide you with the services we provide. We will not collect any personal data from you that isn’t needed for delivery of those services. Please see table of the services we provide and information needed.


Why we need to know this basic personal data
Type of Community Planning Service Information Required
Meetings, events or training – attendance, information before and after the particular support session, hospitality Name, contact details, dietary information
Distribution of community planning information of interest – sending of information of interest including information on meetings, funding opportunities, training and events Name, contact details

 The legal basis for collecting your information in these circumstances are:

Legal Obligation:The Community Empowerment (Scotland) Act 2015, Part 2: Community Planning

Public Interest: the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller

We require dietary information in the public interest so that people don’t consume something that may cause them harm. 

If you do not want to provide any information about yourself you can still access support through Community Planning but we may be limited on how we can help you.

What we will do with your information?

All of the information we collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom. 

We only share information which is relevant to providing an adequate and efficient service for you 

There are a limited number of exceptions where we do not have to get your permission before sharing information but we must have a strong lawful reason for doing this.  For example if we believe that an adult or child is at serious risk, we must share this information with other agencies, e.g. such as an adult protection concern or allegation.

We sometimes give information to partner agencies that are not currently involved with you, but that may be involved with you in the future.  For example, organisations looking to engage with local groups and individuals to help inform policy or projects. In these circumstances we would ask your permission before sharing any personal information with them.

You should also be aware that your data will be stored on servers located within the United Kingdom and all paper records will be held securely; the data will not be processed outside the European Union. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how we do this can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required.

How long will we keep your information?

We will usually keep your information for a maximum of 1 year following the end of the financial year in which the service to you ends, after this period it will be destroyed under secure arrangements if it is no longer required for the lawful purposes for which it was obtained. More information on our retention schedule can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required.

Automated Decision Making

We do not use any automated decision making within this service.

Your Rights

When you provide information to the Council, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the legal basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office
  • to request access to your personal data
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as so far as the legislation permits


You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.


Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights.  

Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Telephone:  0303 123 1113   Email:  


The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland

45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL

Telephone:  0303 123 1115  Email: 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.