Elected Members - Privacy Statement

A new data protection law was introduced on 25th May 2018. As a result, we've updated our Privacy Notice to make it easier for you to find out how we use, process and protect your information.


In order to assist my constituents and to allow me to fulfil my role as an Elected Member, I need to collect, store, use, share and dispose of personal data. This is called data processing. When I process your personal data I must comply with data protection legislation. This privacy notice explains how I will use your personal data as an Elected Member of Argyll and Bute Council.

Your Personal Data

What information is collected?

The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation, can be contacted as follows:

Address: Governance, Risk and Safety Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Legal and Regulatory Support Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. 

Email: data.protection@argyll-bute.gov.uk  Telephone: 01546 605522 


The information I collect from you will include details of the issue you have raised with me, your name, address and other contact details as well as any other personal information required by the council service linked to your enquiry. The personal data you provide may also include special category information about you or a 3rd party if, for example, you raise an issue relating to a service provided by Social Work or the NHS, ie, social care, health or medical information.

Why this information is needed

Your information is being collected for the following purpose(s):-

To support my role as an elected member, e.g. to allow me to undertake case work on behalf of individual constituents, to represent the interests of my constituency, and to further the interests of the ward in which I serve.

The lawful basis for collecting your information in most circumstance will be:-

Public task – processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council

Where I have to process special category data, as detailed above I will ask you to confirm that you are happy for me to process the information, as this will clarify your concerns or interests and ensure we both understand how your personal data and that of any 3rd party will be processed.

What I will do with your information?

It is very likely that I will need to share your personal data with Council officers and I may have to share it with other Elected Members to address wider constituency concerns. I will not share any personal data which is not connected with a constituent’s case. I may also be required to share personal data with the police or another law enforcement agency, for the prevention or detection of crime.

Where a Council service becomes involved in dealing with the issue you have raised, they will provide you with service specific privacy notice relative to their activities.

All of the information I collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom. You should also be aware that your data will be stored on servers located within the United Kingdom; the data will not be processed outside the European Union. I will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how this is done can be requested from the Data Protection Officer.

How long will I keep your information?

I will not keep your personal data for any longer than it is needed, and will dispose of any records (both paper and electronic) in a secure way. In general, I will not retain your personal data without your permission beyond the end of this Council term (May 2027) or earlier if I am no longer a Councillor. More information on the retention policy and procedure can be obtained from the Data Protection Officer if required.

Automated Decision Making

No automated decision making will take place.

Your Rights

When you provide information to me, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the lawful basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office – see below for details
  • to request access to your personal data – please contact the Data Protection Officer if you wish to submit a request.
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as far as the legislation permits – please contact the Data Protection Officer and provide details of what data you wish to be rectified or erased.

You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/data-protection or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.


Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. 

Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Telephone:  0303 123 1113   Email:  casework@ico.org.uk 


The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland

45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL

Telephone:  0303 123 1115  Email:  Scotland@ico.org.uk

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.