Short-term Licensing - Privacy Statement

A new data protection law was introduced on 25th May 2018. As a result, we've updated our Privacy Notice to make it easier for you to find out how we use, process and protect your information.

Your Personal Data

Argyll and Bute Council will act as the ‘Data Controller’ for the personal data you provide to us. The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation can be contacted at Legal and Regulatory Support, Argyll and Bute Council, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. Email: Telephone: 01546 605522

What information do we need?

The information will include details such as your name, address, address history for the last 5 years, telephone numbers, e-mail address, date of birth, place of birth and if a partner/director of a company, your position.

Why we need this information?

You are giving us your personal information to allow us to process an application for a licence for a Short-term let accommodation scheme

We need to know this information in order to:

  • To provide you with the services we provide to assess and determine your application
  • To provide you with the services you have requested
  • To verify your identity where required,
  • To contact you by post, email or telephone and
  • To maintain our records

Our legal basis for processing your information:

  • Legal obligation – processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short-term lets) Order 2022

What we will do with your information?

In order to provide this service(s), we will share your information with the service / agencies listed below for the purposes specified

  • Regulatory and law enforcement bodies in compliance with legal obligations – Police-Scotland, Fire-Scotland
  • Other Council services involved in the processing of the application and Elected Members when considering representations made regarding the application
  • Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, in assessing any planning requirements in respect of the application.
  • Other Council services to help us improve Council services
  • The data (with the exception of details of any convictions) will also be kept in Argyll and Bute Council’s Public Register of short term let licences which is open to public inspection.
  • Data will be shared with the Scottish Government for statistical and research purposes, which may involve some additional data linkages for analysis purposes, where appropriate.

Objections and Representations

The 1982 Act permits any member of the public to submit an objection or representation in relation to an application for a short-term let licence.

A copy of the objection or representation will be provided to the applicant and will include your name and address. 

UK or International Data Processing

All of the information we collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom.  You should be aware however that your data will be stored on servers located in within the United Kingdom; the data will not be processed outside the European Union.  We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how we do this can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required.

How long will we keep your information?

We will usually keep your information for a minimum of 7 years after a licence lapses, after this period it will be destroyed under secure arrangements if it is no longer required for the lawful purpose(s) for which it was obtained.  More information on our retention schedule can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required.

Automated Decision Making

There are no Automated Decision Making systems used for any of the purposes identified above.

Your Rights

When you provide information to the Council, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the lawful basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office – see below for details
  • to request access to your personal data – please contact the Data Protection Officer if you wish to submit a request.
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as far as the legislation permits – please contact the Data Protection Officer and provide details of what data you wish to be rectified or erased.

You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.

Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. 

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone:  0303 123 1113   

The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland
45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Telephone:  0303 123 1115  

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.