Education premises key holders - Privacy Statement

A new data protection law was introduced on 25th May 2018. As a result, we've updated our Privacy Notice to make it easier for you to find out how we use, process and protect your information.

What information do we need?

Argyll and Bute Council will act as the ‘Data Controller’ for the personal data you provide to us. The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation, can be contacted as follows:

Address: Iain Jackson, Governance and Risk Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Governance and Law, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. 

Email:   or  

Telephone:  01546 604188 or 01546 605522   

Unless specifically agreed with you, we will only collect personal data about you which does not include any special categories of personal information about you (also known as ‘sensitive personal data’.  The information required for this purpose will include your name, home address, home landline, personal mobile phone number, personal e-mail address and job title.

Why we need this information?

Your information is being collected for the following purpose(s):-

To record contact details of staff that are designated key holders for specific schools within Argyll and Bute Council.

We need to know this basic personal data in order to be able to contact you when access to a school is required out-with school hours. This is detailed in the employment contract we have with you.  We will not collect any personal data from you that isn’t needed for this purpose.

The legal basis for collecting your information in these circumstances is:

Performance of a contract: your contract of employment with Argyll and Bute Council details that you are a designated key holder for a specific school.

Public Interest: it is in the public interest that your personal information is recorded in order that a school can be accessed out-with school hours for times where a school may have to shut if access could not be gained by any other means.

What we will do with your information?

All of the information we collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom.

Your information will be shared with the recipients or categories of recipients listed below:-

  • Education Management Team
  • Property Services Team who will store it in their Concerto Property Management System
  • Contractors retained by Argyll and Bute Council as and when they need access to a school out-with school hours

Your personal data will not be shared with anyone else unless there is a legal obligation for us to do so

You should also be aware that your data will be stored on servers located within the United Kingdom; the data will not be processed outside the European Union. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how we do this can be provided on request to the Data Protection Officer.  

How long will we keep your information?

We will keep your information for as long as you remain a staff member with a contract that includes being a designated key holder. If you leave Argyll and Bute Council, or move to a different role that does not include being a key holder, your information will be destroyed under secure arrangements if it is no longer required for the lawful purpose for which it was obtained. 

More information on our retention schedule can be provided on request to the Data Protection Officer. 

Your Rights

When you provide information to the Council, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the lawful basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office – see below for details
  • to request access to your personal data – please contact the Data Protection Officer if you wish to submit a request.
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as far as the legislation permits – please contact the Data Protection Officer and provide details of what data you wish to be rectified or erased.

You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.

Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. 

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone:  0303 123 1113  

The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland
45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Telephone:  0303 123 1115 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.