Parking enforcement - Privacy Statement

A new data protection law was introduced on 25th May 2018. As a result, we've updated our Privacy Notice to make it easier for you to find out how we use, process and protect your information.

Your Personal Data

What information do we need?

Argyll and Bute Council will act as the ‘Data Controller’ for the personal data you provide to us. The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation, can be contacted as follows:

Address: Iain Jackson, Governance and Risk Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Governance and Law, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT. 

Email:   or  

Telephone:  01546 604188 or 01546 605522

The information will include details such as your name, address, e-mail address and job titleUnless specifically agreed with you, we will only collect personal data about you which does not include any special categories of personal information about you (also known as ‘sensitive personal data)’.

Why we need this information?

You are giving us your personal information to allow us to process enquiries, payments or appeals in relation to a Penalty Charge Notice.

We have obtained the name and address of the registered keeper of the vehicle from the DVLA for the purpose of enforcing this Penalty Charge Notice.  Such information has been provided in accordance with Argyll and Bute Council’s Decriminalised Parking Enforcement regime and processed as part of the contract you agreed to by parking your vehicle within the car park or marked street parking bays.

We need to know this information in order to:

  • To provide you with the services you have requested
  • To establish our rights in relation to services, as detailed in the contract we have with you.
  • To verify your identity where required,
  • To contact you by post, email or telephone and
  • To maintain our records

We will not collect any personal data from you that isn’t needed for delivery of those services.

Our legal basis for processing your information:

  • Public tasks – processing is necessary to manage and enforce the Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) for the streets and car parks under the Argyll and Bute Council Decriminalised Parking Enforcement regime.

What we will do with your information?

In order to provide this service Argyll and Bute Council may, from time to time, employ the services of other parties for dealing with matters that may include payment processing, debt recovery, and appeals.

  • Parkeon (suppliers of PAYD machines and online monitoring/reporting software)
  • Metric (suppliers of PAYD machines and online monitoring/reporting software)
  • Imperial Solutions/ICES (suppliers of 3sixty – PCN database, Paysmarti cashless payment system)
  • DVLA
  • Walker Love Sheriff Officers
  • Parking & Bus Lane Tribunal

When you do not provide information directly to us, we may receive it from other relevant organisations including other Council services, DVLA, Police 

UK or International Data Processing

All of the information we collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom.  You should be aware however that your data will be stored on servers located in within the United Kingdom; the data will not be processed outside the European Union.  We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how we do this can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required..

How long will we keep your information?

We will usually keep your information for a minimum of 7 years after the settlement of the PCN, after this period it will be destroyed under secure arrangements if it is no longer required for the lawful purpose(s) for which it was obtained.  More information on our retention schedule can be provided by the Data Protection Officer if required.

Automated Decision Making

There are no Automated Decision Making systems used for any of the purposes identified above.

Your Rights

When you provide information to the Council, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the lawful basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office – see below for details
  • to request access to your personal data – please contact the Data Protection Officer if you wish to submit a request.
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as far as the legislation permits – please contact the Data Protection Officer and provide details of what data you wish to be rectified or erased.

You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.

Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights. 

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone:  0303 123 1113   

The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland
45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL
Telephone:  0303 123 1115  

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.