Apply for licenses and permits

You can find a list of our charges for council services, including charges for licenses and permits, on our council fees and charges page. 

Here are the charges for our Civic Government Licences.

Please use this form if you wish to make any changes to your civic government licence.

If you are not applying online, payments can be made by telephone; BACS or cheque (made payable to Argyll and Bute Council). Please contact the Licensing Office on 01546 604355 or email

For further information regarding any Licensing issues please contact the Council's Licensing Department on 01546 604355 or email:

Iona Vehicle Permit

Iona is subject to a "Prohibition of Vehicles" Order that controls the type of vehicles allowed onto the Island.

Itinerant Metal Dealer’s Licence

If you act as an itinerant - or travelling metal dealer - you must be licensed by your local authority. Such a licence will allow you to sell scrap metal anywhere in Scotland.

Knife Dealers Licence

To enable a person to trade as a knife dealer within Argyll and Bute, you need a licence from the Local Authority.

Late Hours Catering Licence

To offer meals or refreshment for consumption between 23.00 and 05.00, on or off the business premises, you need a licence from the local authority.

Metal Dealer’s Licence

A Metal Dealer’s Licence is required by a person who carries on the activities of a Metal Dealer.

Occasional Licence (to sell alcohol)

An occasional licence allows unlicensed premises to sell alcohol for a period of no more than 14 days. A licensed private members club can also apply for an occasional licence if they intend to provide a function or event that is open to non-members.

Performing animals registration

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority.

Personal Licence (to sell alcohol)

This is a portable licence granted to an individual enabling him/her to sell alcohol at a premises licensed for the sale of alcohol. The licence's duration is ten years.

Premises Licence (Gambling)

To offer gaming (i.e. betting, bingo, casinos, adult gaming centre, family entertainment centre etc) on premises you need to apply for a Premises Licence from the local authority.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.