Performing animals registration

If you exhibit, use or train performing animals, in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with your local authority.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the performances they are to take part in.

Applications may be subject to a fee.

Completing your application

How to apply

To apply, change or renew a performing animals licence you can download and complete the form below and send it to Argyll & Bute Council by email or post:

Performing animals registration application form

The information you supply on this form will be used for the purpose for which you have provided it, and appropriate measures are in place to protect your personal data.  A full privacy notice, which provides information about your rights under current data protection legislation and details about what will happen to your personal data can be found here:


There is an application fee of £142.35 which must be paid at the time an application is made, plus Vet's fee if required.

  • When are sending us your application, you can send a cheque for the fee, made payable to Argyll and Bute Council to the address below:

Contact Us

You can contact us using our online enquiry form

By post at:

Environmental Health Department
Argyll & Bute Council
PA31 8RT

Or phone: 01546 605519

Additional information

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

Regulation summary

Performing Animals (Regulation)Act 1925 (c.38)

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Argyll and Bute Council by the end of the target completion period.

Objections and Appeals

Failed application and licence holder redress -

 Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

If you wish to complain about a Performing Animals Registration holder please use the contact details below

Environmental Health Department
Argyll & Bute Council
PA31 8RT

01546 605519

Or contact us using our online enquiry form

A police officer or officer of the local authority may make a complaint to the local court if they feel that animals have been subject to cruelty.

See also

European Circus Association

The International Marine Animal Trainers' Association






Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.