Support for carers

Find out how you can get a care plan, access the carer's resources and find information on respite and short breaks and other useful information.

If you look after a family member or help someone who has a disability, is unwell or frail, you may be entitled to an Adult Carer Support Plan (ACSP) or Young Carer Statement (YCS).

You can request an ACSP/YCS or be referred for supports if you;

  • provide care or support for a relative/friend/neighbour.
  • you will be providing care or support at a future time, to say, someone who may be leaving hospital.
  • are a young person caring for a relative, for instance, a parent.
  • are the parent or other carer of a child with additional needs.

You don't need to be living with the person you care for to have an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement.

Read the Argyll and Bute carer's strategy

How do I get an Adult Carer Support Plan or Young Carer Statement?

We have an open referral process for anyone who is looking for assistance and support from Argyll and Bute Health and Social Care Partnership. Using a risk matrix and eligibility criteria your needs and outcomes will be identified to get you the right support at the right time and in the right manner. If you feel you are needing help and support to continue to support a person you care for then this can be done in a number of ways:

Contact us online

Call us on: 01546 605517

Visit us:  You could drop into one of our local Customer Service Points

What services are available to support the person I care for?

After completing a carer's assessment, some support services may be available, these can include:

How do I find out about respite and short break options?

During the completion of the ACSP/YCS the assessor can check if you need access to respite care or a short-break and make sure you and the person you care for can get the help and support you both need. Information about possible respite options and short-breaks would be provided if or when it was identified as part of your needs or outcomes. You can also find out about respite and short breaks at your local Carers Centre.

Find out more about respite care and short breaks and how to arrange them.

How do I find out about carer's allowance?

Carer's allowance is paid to eligible people to help them look after and support someone with substantial caring needs. You can find out about eligibility, how much is paid and how to apply on the website. In addition the new organisation Social Security Scotland may also provide you with a supplementary payment. To find out more about supplementary payments visit Social Security Scotland.

Find out more and apply for carer's allowance

Young Carer Grant

The Young Carer Grant is a yearly payment of £300 for young carers aged 16-18 who live in Scotland, who are not entitled to receive Carer's Allowance.

Find out more about the grant and how to apply here >

What help is available to me as a carer if I don’t want to involve social work?

There are Carers' Centres in Argyll and Bute run by charitable organisations. Using the same risk matrix and eligibility criteria as the Health and Social Care Partnership the Carers' Centres may be able to provide you with information, supports or assistance. Based on your identified needs and personal outcomes they may also assist and support you to have some respite or a short break. They can also help you gain access to possible supports or services by engaging with the Health and Social Care Partnership if statutory supports are indicated, but only if you wish.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.