Marriage Information

All weddings in Scotland require some paperwork and this is processed by the local Registration office in the area where your marriage is to take place. If you are having a civil ceremony please check the availability of a registrar once you have decided on a date for your wedding.


When getting married  both parties need to complete either marriage notice forms (M10).  Forms can be downloaded from our website,  National Records of Scotland or they can emailed to you by a registrar.

The earliest your paperwork can be submitted is 3 months before the date of your wedding and no later than 29 days before the date of the event.  We would advise that you do not leave it any later than 6 weeks before the date to ensure your paperwork is in order and is processed in time. 

The forms should be returned with the following documents;

  • Both parties have to submit their birth certificates (originals not photocopies and translations if needed)
  • Copies of passports to verify nationality
  • Evidence of EUSS status for EEA passport holders from 1st July 2021 (please see below for more details)
  • Proof of residency for each of you (copies of valid driving licence, council tax bill for the current year,  utility bill dated within 3 months or a bank statement dated within the month)
  • If either of you have previously been married or in a civil partnership we will require relevant documentation to prove you are free to marry e.g. Original Divorce Documents, Death Certificate. (originals not photocopies and translations if required)

*Please note * - if submitting foreign divorce documents then a separate questionnaire will also need to be completed.

  • Full names and addresses of your two witnesses who must be over 16 years of age
  • The appropriate payment
  • If subject to immigration you should contact the UK Border Agency (Tel: 0300 123 2241) for advice about entry requirements to the UK under the immigration rules for marriage.

A marriage visa is not required to give notice of marriage but it may be required to enter the UK.  We strongly suggest that you check what is required by the Border Agency if this applies to you. Anyone who is not a British Citizen must complete a Declaration Status by Non UK Nationals form.

Fees are subject to increase at any point in the year so please get in touch with the registrar before sending in your paperwork and they will advise of the correct charge. The fees can be paid by cheque (made payable to Argyll and Bute Council) or you can pay by card over the phone or by bank transfer.

Our offices are currently open on an appointment only basis but you can reach us by phone and email 9AM-5PM Monday to Friday.

When sending in your documents please send them by recorded delivery and note PERSONAL on the envelope so it comes directly to us. If handing your documents into the office please contact the Registrar beforehand as you might need to make an appointment.

  • Rothesay Service Point, Eaglesham House, Mount Pleasant Road, Rothesay, PA20 9HQ 
  • Tel:01546605521 (Option 8)
  • Dunoon Service Point, Ellis Lodge 5 Argyll Road, Dunoon, PA23 8ES  Tel : 01546605521 (Option 2)
  • Islay Service Point, Jamieson Street, Bowmore, Isle of Islay, PA43 7HL 
  • Tel: 01546605521 (Option 4)
  • Oban Service Point, Municipal Building, Albany Street, Oban, PA34 4AW
  • Tel: 01546605521 (Option 7)
  • Campbeltown Service Point, Burnet Building, St John Street, Campbeltown, PA28 6BJ 
  • Tel: 01546605521 (Option 1)
  • Helensburgh Service Point, The Helensburgh and Lomond Civic Centre, 38 East Clyde Street, Helensburgh, G84 7PG
  • Tel:01546605521 (Option 3)


For the Islands of Iona and Coll please contact Mull Servicepoint.

For the Islands of Easdale, Kerrera, Luing and Lismore please contact Oban Servicepoint.

For the Island of Gigha please contact Campbeltown Servicepoint.



We can either keep any original documents until the day of your wedding or if required they can be returned by recorded delivery (a fee for this will be added).

Once we are aware of which registrar will be conducting your ceremony they will email a copy of the ceremony to you to look over. We are more than happy to alter our ceremony in any way to suit you and make it more personal for you both, by including your own personal words to each other, readings, unity candles, poems or a story of your life together so far.

It’s your day and we want to make it as special as possible. Please let us know of any ideas that you have and copies of any readings.


The Marriage Schedule which is the document you will sign on the wedding day must be collected in person by either party the week of the wedding. We can return any original documents to you at this point or if required they can be returned by recorded delivery (a fee for this will be added).



From 1 July 2021, changes will come into effect which bring European Economic Area (“EEA”) citizens within scope of the referral and investigation scheme.

The referral and investigation marriage scheme applies to couples where one or both parties could gain an immigration advantage from the marriage or civil partnership and allows the Home Office to investigate and take enforcement action where appropriate. Holders of relevant marriage visas (such as a marriage visitor visa or fiancé visa) or those with an appropriate immigration status (exemption from immigration control or settled in the UK) are exempt from referral to the Home Office.

Under the changes, those giving notice of intention to marry or register a civil partnership before 1 July 2021 will continue to do so under the current system.

However EEA citizens with

  • an immigration status granted under the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) or
  • a pending application to the EUSS, or
  • Irish citizens

will be exempt from the referral scheme.  These groups will also remain exempt from the requirement for a mandatory marriage visitor visa if they are travelling to the UK for that purpose.

EEA citizens (with the exception of Irish nationals) will no longer be able to use their national ID card as evidence of nationality when giving notice of intention to marry or register a civil partnership.            

A person with EUSS status will be required to share their status through the online EUSS status checker tool.  The holder must request a six digit ‘share code’ and provide this code to the registrar when they give notice to marry.  This code can be requested by the individual on the ‘view and prove your settled or pre-settled status page’ on GOV.UK at:


It is now possible for couples who are the same or mixed gender to choose to enter into a marriage or a civil partnership. Scottish Government have now released a guide on the differences and legalities of these relationships to help couples to make an informed choice, you can view the guide here. Remember your local registrar is happy to help you with any questions or to help you enter into a marriage or civil partnership.


Contact the Registration Team - use our online form below, or call us on 01546 605521

Local Registration Offices - contact details

Contact the Registration Team