Marriage and Civil Ceremonies

Choose Argyll Love Argyll

Marriage Paperwork

Here are some of the forms and guidance you may need for a marriage in Scotland.

Please speak to your registrar about what paperwork you are required to complete.

Terms and Conditions

This leaflet is the terms and conditions for civil ceremony bookings with our registration team

Information leaflet – Marriage in Scotland RM1

This leaflet provides you with information on the legal requirements for a marriage in Scotland and can help answer any questions you may have.

Booking a Argyll and Bute Registrar

We have a online booking form on our contact page, however if you would prefer to complete a paper form to book and submit to a registrar please use this form. 

Marriage Notice Application – M10 and notes

This form must be completed by both parties to the marriage and submitted to the local Registrar in the district where your marriage is to take place, no later 29 days before hand.  You cannot submit this form more than 3 months before the date of the marriage.

If you are planning to marry abroad and you are requested to provide a Certificate of No Impediment (CONI) please use this form and provide the relevant supporting documentation.

Additional Information and Witness Details

You will need to provide the names of two witnesses over the age of 16 that will be in attendance of your marriage. If witnesses are being provided for you please write this on the form.

Declaration of Status by Non UK Nationals

Anyone who is not a British Citizen must complete this form and submit along with your notice to marriage (M10). The Registrar will be unable to accept your notice to marriage without this form being completed.  You may also be required to provide passport size photographs for both parties of the marriage.  You should be aware that if you do not have the appropriate immigration status or the relevant visa for a marriage in the United Kingdom, your proposed marriage will be referred to the Home Office for investigation, which can result in a delay in your marriage taking place.  If you are unsure if you are subject to immigration control please speak to your Registrar who can advise or contact the Home Office.    If this applies to you please see the Home Office leaflet for more information about the referral and investigation scheme.

To provide proof of your EU Settlement Schemen (EUSS) you will need to provide a check code to the Registrar, this can either be done by emailing the code direct to the Registrar through the system or sending a note of the check code.  This must be provided when submitting your M10 forms.  If you are unable to provide proof of your EUSS then you marriage may be referred to the Home Office before it can take place.  Please note a screen shot of your status is not acceptable.

Foreign Divorce Questionnaire

If you have had a divorce that has taken place outwith the United Kingdom you may be required to complete this additional information regarding your divorce. Your Registrar will advise you if you need to complete this form.

Proof of Address

When submitting your notice to marriage you will be required to provide proof of your permanent home address, please see list of acceptable documentation or speak to your Registrar. If residing at separate addresses proof of each address would be required.


Before submitting your paperwork and documentation please check that you have everything required.  Original documentation where specified must be sent with your paperwork, if you have any difficulty please speak to the Registrar.

Other documentation required will be Birth certificates, evidence of previous marriage ending, evidence of nationality (passport), Certificate of No Impediment may be required depending on your country of residency.  If you require further information on what documents you may need to provide please contact your Registrar.