Support for carers

If you regularly look after a family member or help someone who has a disability or is sick or frail, you may be entitled to a carers assessment. Carers assessments can check if you need access to respite care and short-breaks and make sure you and the person you care for, get the help and support you need.

You can get a carer’s assessment if you;

  • provide a substantial amount of care for a relative/friend/neighbour.
  • you will be providing a substantial amount of care at a future time, to say, someone who is planning to live with you, or may be leaving hospital.
  • are a young person caring for a relative, for instance, a parent.
  • are the parent or other carer of a child with special needs.

You don't need to be living with the person you care for to get a carer’s assessment.

How do I get a carer’s assessment?

We have an open carer’s assessment referral process for anyone who is looking for assistance and support from social services in Argyll and Bute. If you feel you are needing help and support to continue to support a person you care for then this can be done in a number of ways:

Contact us online

Call us on: 01546 605517

Visit us:  You could drop into one of our local Customer Service Points

What help is available to me as a carer if I don’t want to involve social work?

There are four carers centres in Argyll and Bute run by the Princes Trust for Scotland. They can support you and can help you contact care workers. 

Dochas Carers Centre

50 Campbell Street,
PA31 8JU
Tel: 01546 600 022

Helensburgh and Lomond Carers SCIO

Lomond House, 29 Lomond Street
G84 7PW
Tel: 01436 673 444

North Argyll Carers Centre

Albany Street,
PA34 4AL
Tel: 01631 564 422

Crossroads and Carers Centre 

(Cowal and Bute)
61/63 Argyll Street,
PA23 7HG
Tel: 01369 707 700  

What services are available to support the person I care for?

After completing a carer’s assessment, some support services may be available, these can include:

How do I find out about respite and short break options?

Information about respite options and short-breaks would be provided and supported as part of the overall carer’s assessment process if this was agreed at the care planning stage.  You can also find out about respite and short breaks at your local carers centre.

Find out more about respite care and short breaks and how to arrange them.

How do I find out about carer's allowance?

Carer's allowance is paid to eligible people to help them look after and support someone with substantial caring needs. You can find out about eligibility, how much is paid and how to apply on the website

Find out more and apply for carer's allowance