Energy performance certificates

From January 2009 all houses in Scotland available to rent or for sale must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

EPC’s are much like the multi-coloured rating given to electrical appliance with an A rating being very efficient and a G rating inefficient. The certificates will also advice on cost-effective ways to achieve a better rating.

How your house is rated will have a direct impact on how much you pay to stay warm.

If a tenant started their tenancy after 4th January 2009 and the EPC is not on display they should ask their landlord for one. An EPC is valid for 10 years.

From January 2013, all advertisements for properties to rent or for sale must include EPC information. Any landlord or agent who does not display this information may be served with a fine for each advert (including those on the internet and in newspapers) which does not include this information.

Financial Assistance

Landlords and/or private tenants may be eligible for energy efficiency grants. Landlords may be able to take advantage of the Landlord's Energy Saving Allowance, a tax allowance for undertaking energy efficiency measures.

The Scottish Government is also offering owner occupiers, private and social tenants and private sector landlords up to £1,200 towards energy efficiency measures that are recommended in the Green Deal assessment. Up to £500 is available for insulation measures, up to £400 for a boiler and up to £300 for other measures (such as glazing, LED lighting and heating controls).

Our Advice

  • If a house is poorly insulated the occupier will be wasting heat and money. That is the tenants’ problem.
  • Poorly heated houses are more susceptible to damp and deterioration. That is the landlords problem.
  • Display EPC information on all advertisements.
  • Read the EPC for the property and look for advice on low cost improvements.
    • Landlords and/or tenants may be eligible for energy efficiency grants
    • Tenants need the landlords approval before carrying out any works
  • Failure to provide an EPC may affect your registration as a Private Landlord, for further information contact the Private Landlord Registration team.
Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.