If you are a business within Argyll and Bute you can contact trading standards for advice and information however advice leaflets can also be downloaded below and a number of external websites can also provide guidance.
- Misleading Marketing: Information for Businesses - how to spot a marketing scam.
- Under Age Sales Traders Pack - guidance for business in relation to age restricted products.
- Weights and Measures Advice - guidance on weights and measures.
- Guidance on the Companies Act 2006 - guidance on information which should be provided about businesses.
- Returns Policies: A Guide for Retailers.
- Distance Selling Regulations - guidance for those selling to consumers not at their premises.
- Cosmetic Products - a guide for producers and retailers.
- Textile Labelling - a guide for producers and retailers.
- Fruit and Vegetable Advisory Note - a guide for retailers.
- Advice for Small Bakers - a guide for producers.
- Licensed Premises - Advice note for licensed premises.
- Solid Fuel - Advice note for sellers.
- Packaged Goods - Advice note for packers.
- Guidance on Average Quantity for Packaged Goods - Advice note for packers.
- Selling at Car Boot Sales.
- Guidance for Bureaux de Change.
- Guidance on Advertising, Notices and Displaying Prices for B&Bs, Guesthouses and Hotels.
- Guidance for providers of self-catering property - Managing Bookings, Safety and Private Water Supplies.
- Safety of Goods in Rented Accommodation.
- Agricultural Shows guidance - may also be relevant for other shows and events.
Advice Leaflets from External Bodies
- Hallmarking Guidance Notes - Assay Offices of Great Britain
- Pricing Practices Guide - BIS
- Guidance Note on the Construction Products Regulation - guidance on the requirement for construction products to carry the CE logo
Websites to Visit
- Office of Fair Trading - including advice in relation to fair trading as well as information about applying for a credit licence or acting as an estate agent.
- Edinburgh Assay Office - for advice in relation to Hallmarking.
- The National Measurement Office - guidance in relation to weights and measures legislation including details of equipment regulation.
- Challenge 25 - details of the Challenge 25 age verification policy.
- Scottish Tobacco Retailer's Register - for all retailers of tobacco products.
- Business Scotland - various advice in relation operating a business including a section in relation to selling.