Flood Recovery Support

If you are affected by flooding it can be difficult to know what support is available. Please find here information about protecting your home, and support for your home or business if you are flooded.

Sign up for flooding alerts (provided by Floodline)

Grants and support for households and tenants

Scottish Welfare Fund

The Scottish Welfare Fund is able to assist those on a low income affected by flooding where they do not have any other form of support. For example, if you do not have home or contents insurance.

Any support received from the Scottish Welfare Fund will not affect benefit entitlements.

Crisis Grants

Crisis Grants are available in a crisis to meet expenses that have arisen as a result of an emergency or disaster in order to avoid an immediate threat to health or safety of you or your family.

Help with council tax and housing benefit

If you have to move out of your home for an extended period to allow repairs, and if the property is unoccupied and unfurnished, you may be entitled to up to 12 months exemption from council tax. 

We are here to support you with any changes to your Housing Benefit/Universal Credit and/or Council Tax. 

Flood Re Build Back Better Insurance

Flood Re helps households at the highest risk of flooding. It is a re-insurance scheme that makes flood cover more widely available and affordable as part of your home insurance.

It is a world-leading approach to protecting UK homes against the risk of flooding and offers homeowners the chance to install Property Flood Resilience measures up to £10,000 when repairing their properties after a flood.

More information is available at https://www.floodre.co.uk/buildbackbetter/

Support for businesses

Advice and information is available through our Business Gateway service. Our business advisers can help with recovery and contingency planning. Please contact 01546 604555 or email business.gateway@argyll-bute.gov.uk.

Business rates discount

If your business premises have been forced to close, you are unable to trade and you have a rating liability, you may apply for unoccupied rates relief. Please advise the Business Rates Team of the change to your business circumstances. 

Phone: 01586 555249
Email: ndr@argyll-bute.gov.uk
Business rates - further information

Private water supplies

Actions to take regarding private water supplies potentially affected by flooding.

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA)

SEPA is the flood warning authority for Scotland.

Register for SEPA Floodline to receive advanced notice of flooding

Scottish Water

Scottish Water is responsible for providing water and waste-water services to household customers and wholesale Licenced Providers. It delivers the investment priorities of Ministers within the funding allowed by the Water Industry Commission for Scotland.

The Scottish Flood Forum

The Scottish Flood Forum is a charitable organisation which supports individuals and communities at risk of flooding and that have flooded. It specialises in flood recovery and resilience.

For further information visit www.scottishfloodforum.org 

How to report flooding

Report flooding on or around council roads using our online form

Report flooding on or around Trunk Roads online (eg A82, A83, A85, A828) or call Bear Scotland on 0800 028 1414

Report general flooding issues to Floodline (a national service provided by SEPA)

If flooding is an emergency or causing danger to life, please contact the emergency services for immediate help by phoning 999

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.