The Welfare Rights Team
Many people claim benefits at some point in their lives, often when their circumstances change. The welfare benefits system can be complicated and it is not always clear what benefits, if any, someone may be entitled to.
The Welfare Rights Team aims to ensure that the residents of Argyll and Bute are not missing out on their entitlement to both UK and Scottish Government administered benefits and other related help. We provide a free, confidential and impartial benefits advice, information and appeal representation service.
Members of our team are funded by MacMilllan Cancer Support and they are able to provide an enhanced Welfare Rights Service for people affected by cancer.
How to contact the Welfare Rights Team
- You can refer yourself (or someone else) to the Welfare Rights Team using our Online Form
- You can phone the Welfare Rights Contact Centre on 01546 605517
- If it's information you are after, you can also browse our Benefits and Advice pages
- Or find out how much you could be entitled to by using a Benefit Calculator
- Read our privacy notice to find out how we manage your data
Why contact the Welfare Rights Team?
People contact the Welfare Rights Team with a variety of benefit related issues but it is often for one or more of the following reasons:
Reason for contact
You have had a significant life event or change in circumstances such as being made unemployed, giving birth, relationship breakdown, being diagnosed with a health problem, bereavement etc.
You are struggling financially
You have been turned down for benefit or you are unhappy with a decision
You are considering a change in circumstances such as:
Other ways we provide support
We also provide the following services:
- delivering training to council staff and voluntary organisations on a range of welfare rights issues
- delivering talks to community groups and organisations
Please contact the team on 01546 605517 to discuss
Council Related Benefit Information
- Council Tax Benefit - A means-tested benefit for people who are responsible for paying Council Tax. Contact 01546 605512
- Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance - Means-tested benefit for people who rent from a housing association or registered social landlord and are responsible for paying rent. Contact 01546 605512
We can also provide information on money advice and financial hardship.
There are also benefit calculators to let you check if you are entitled to benefits.
For other non council related benefits visit the gov.uk website.
Citizens Advice Bureau
The Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau provides free, impartial and confidential advice on:
- Your money - Debt, Employment, Benefits, Tax
- Your family - Family, Health, Housing, Education
- Your daily life - Communications, Consumer Affairs, Travel
- Your rights - Civil Rights, Immigration, Legal Rights and Responsibilties