From Monday 6th April, we will be introducing 2-weekly bin collections where your general waste and recycling will be collected together. For all areas except Bute and Kintyre, your bins will be collected on the days that you would normally put out your recycling (blue bin/bags).
For Bute and Kintyre, the collection dates have had to be changed
Find out full details of the new arrangements, including new collection dates for Bute and Kintyre on our changes to bin services page
- Dunoon and Cowal area
- Helensburgh and Lomond
- Islay and Jura
- Isle of Bute
- Mid Argyll and Tarbert Area
- Mull and Iona
- Oban and Lorn Area
Rubbish and recycling collections for businesses - For commercial rubbish and recycling collection dates please see your individual contract agreed with the council. Find out more about commercial waste collections here
Assisted bin collections
Did you know that we can provide an assisted bin collection service if you are not able to put your wheelie bin out for collection yourself? (for example because of mobility problems or illness).
You can apply for an assisted collection if you have no other member of your household who is able to help, and you are not able to put out your bins yourself because of a mobility problem or illness.
If you have any general enquiries about the use of your domestic bin you can get in touch with us using our online form.
The wheeled bin must be used, and no excess or side waste should be placed outwith the bin.
Please return your bin back onto your property as soon as reasonably possible after collection.
Do not leave a bin permanently on the footpath.
Points to Remember
DO make sure your bin is available on your designated bin collection day, by the time stated for your area. Bin collection times may vary due to operational changes. However, we will try to catch up as soon as possible.
- DO make sure the lid is fully closed with the handle facing towards the kerb.
- DO make sure your bin is returned to your property after rubbish collection
- DO maintain access to your street on collection day. If access to your bin is impossible, we will be unable to empty it.
- DO use the kerbside recycling collection services where available or take recyclables to a recycling site.
- DO compost your garden waste at home or take it to a recycling and civic amenity site.
- DO use our chargeable special uplift service for items not suitable for your wheelie bin. Restrictions apply so please fill in our online request form or contact 01546 605514 for advice.
- DON'T place hot ashes in your bin.
- DON'T leave your bin permanently on the footpath
- DON'T pack it too tightly.
- DON'T leave excess waste beside it. Waste presented for collection should be contained only in the wheeled bin with the lid fully closed. EXCESS WASTE WILL NOT BE UPLIFTED.
- Find out what to do with hazardous waste.
Homes on unadopted roads
We will collect bins from unadopted roads providing that the road is safe for the bin lorry. The driver will decide on the day whether the road is safe. If your road is found not to be safe then we will arrange with you a suitable collection point, most likely at the end of your road where it joins the public highway.