Relationship breakdown and your housing options

How to get help and support after a relationship breakdown

The breakdown of a relationship can have a significant impact on someone’s housing.

In an emergency:-

In situations involving domestic abuse it may be necessary for someone to have to move away from their home very urgently. Help and support is available in these situations from


If you and your partner, wife or husband split up it is important to understand your options and rights concerning the family home. The Shelter Scotland website offers a lot of useful advice about your rights if you rent a home with your partner, own a home with your partner, want to take legal action, moving on and more. 

It is a very good idea to consult a solicitor before moving out of the family home.

Housing information and advice is available from Argyll and Bute Council Housing Services or from the Independent Housing Advice Phone Line on 0800 731 8337

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.