Council tax - appeal rights

Appeal rights

If you have recently purchased your property, you may have a legal right of appeal if you disagree with your valuation band. This should be discussed with the Assessor at: Dunbartonshire and Argyll and Bute Valuation Joint Board, Kilbrannan House, Bolgam Street, Campbeltown PA28 6HZ or 235 Dumbarton Road, Clydebank G81 4XJ.

Appeals, if you disagree with the decision to hold you liable to pay Council Tax or with the calculation of your bill, should be made in writing, within 28 days of receiving your bill, to:

Head of Financial Services,
Argyll and Bute Council,
Kintyre House,
Snipefield Industrial Estate
Campbeltown, PA28 6SY

Should you disagree with the Council’s decision, then you have the right to appeal within 4 months of the date of your initial query.  The Local Taxation Chamber has taken over from the Valuation Appeals Committee from 1st April 2023 and will hear Council Tax appeals on who is liable to pay Council Tax; the calculation of Council Tax and whether or not a property should be classed as a chargeable dwelling.

An application for an appeal should be made directly by the individual applicant or their representative in writing to the Local Taxation Chamber, First Floor, Bothwell House, Hamilton Business Park, Caird Park, Hamilton, ML3QA.  Further information, including application forms, are available via the Local Taxation Chamber’s website or by telephoning 01698 390012 or emailing 

Even if you make an appeal you must continue to pay your Council Tax. If your appeal is successful, any overpaid Council Tax will be refunded or transferred to reduce any other outstanding debt to Argyll and Bute Council.

Council tax enquiries