Cost of living - money, bills and benefits

We know that people are worried about money so we’ve created this useful page to direct you to available help and advice.

Help and support with your money and bills

Cost of living payments for eligible low income households between now and 22nd February - Payments are automatic and will be issued (by DWP not the council) by 22nd February; recipients do not need to apply to receive it. 

Worried about money -  If you are looking for tailored advice and help for money worries

Money map - Citizens Advice Scotland’s Money Map can help you make the most of your money with advice personalised just for you

Free period products - Did you know that free period products are now available to everyone in Argyll and Bute? You can pick up what you need at a number of locations throughout the area, or have them delivered straight to your door.

Young Persons' Free Bus Travel - Getting around can be expensive, but did you know that all 5-21 year olds resident in Scotland are eligible for Young Persons’ Free Bus Travel using a National Entitlement Card?

Check my council tax - Citizens Advice Scotland helped people save an average of £380 on their Council Tax last year.

Homelessness - get help - We can help if you are homeless or about to become homeless.

Budget planner - It’s not easy juggling your bills each month, especially with daily living costs on the rise. We’ve created a user-friendly budget planner to help you check if you can make your money go further

Martin Lewis's Weekly Money Tips - Sign up to Martin Lewis’s Weekly Money Tips email for the latest bargains, discount codes, offers and tools to help you make savings.

Social broadband tariffs - Cheaper internet is available to customers on benefits - Social tariffs are cheaper broadband packages for people claiming Universal Credit, Pension Credit and some other benefits. They are reliable, fast enough for most clients and easy to switch to. Tariffs start at £15 per month. 

Are you struggling with debt or money problems? Argyll and Bute Advice Services helps helping people who have money worries, and can provide advice and assistance on welfare benefits. Call 01546 604176 to make an appointment with one of our friendly advisors.


Make sure you are receiving all the Welfare Benefits you are entitled to.  For a free impartial benefit check contact:

Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau Advisory Service
Email or call 01546 605550
“If you are in debt with your energy provider: Argyll & Bute Citizens Advice Bureau offer free, confidential debt advice to avoid disconnection and can check eligibility for extra financial help for anyone living in Argyll & Bute regardless of housing status”

Bute Advice Centre’s Money Advice Service
Email  or call 01700 502784
Bute Advice Centre fights poverty and social exclusion by the provision of impartial, confidential advice and assistance with regards to:

  • Housing Advice
  • Income maximisation through the Welfare Benefits Advice Service offering benefits checks, form filling and representation up to and including Tribunal appeals
  • Fuel Poverty advice and assistance
  • Debt Management Provision, including advice about voluntary payment arrangements, protected trust deeds, bankruptcy, DAS and court representation.

Welfare Rights Service  - Are you eligible for benefits you’re not claiming? Our Welfare Rights Team helps people make sure people in Argyll and Bute aren’t missing out on their entitlement to both UK and Scottish Government administered benefits and other related help. For more information, visit Welfare Rights or call 01546 605517, or use an independent, free and anonymous benefits calculator at Benefits calculators - GOV.UK

ACHA Welfare Rights - If you a tenant of Argyll Community Housing Association (ACHA) you can get help by going to ACHA Welfare Rights or call 0800 028 2755

Do You Have Money Worries Book - The Do You Have Money Worries Book gives guidance and support to people experiencing challenges related to money and fuel across the whole of Argyll and Bute.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction - Housing benefit helps people on low incomes to pay their rent, and council tax reductions are also available for those on low incomes.

Best Start Grants and Baby Payments - Being a new parent can put a strain on your finances. The Best Start Grant is a package of three payments that will give extra money to low income families during the early years of a child’s life.

Discretionary Housing Payments - If you are having difficulty paying your rent, you can apply for help through Discretionary Housing Payments.

Independent advice

There are a number of Independent advice agencies in Argyll and Bute, including Argyll and Bute Citizens Advice Bureau and Bute Advice Centre. National helplines include including Citizens Advice Scotland;  Money Advice Scotland  and the National Debtline .

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.