Isle of Iona
Iona Primary School is situated on the island of Iona on the west coast of Scotland. There is a regular ferry service across the Sound of Iona to Fionnphort on Mull.
The school consists of four main learning areas, three classrooms in the building and an extensive outdoor area that is accessed daily.
There is a large grass covered play area in front of the school building and a small nursery garden to allow free flow from the nursery to the outdoors.
The school building is built upon a pre-Christian settlement dating approximately 3000BC. This settlement was developed and built upon to develop a Christian Nunnery and site of pilgrimage. After the reformation and destruction of the Nunnery, the West range of the Nunnery was removed for the construction of the first school. The first HT is listed early in the 1700s. The current school building was constructed in 1850. Extensions were added in 1965 and 2018.