Tell Us Once - Death Registration

Help to cut down on the number of local and central government departments that bereaved relatives have to contact.

When you have had a bereavement there are a number of government departments and council services you need to tell.  Up until now you have had to inform departments individually.  The Tell Us Once service can help cut down on the number of local and central government departments that bereaved relatives have to contact.

Tell Us Once is offered automatically when you visit your local Servicepoint to carry out a death registration.  It is an optional service which most people choose to use as it saves time at a stage in their lives when dealing with the emotional difficulties that come with bereavement. 

We can inform the following council services:

  • Housing and Council Tax Benefits
  • Council Tax
  • Social Work (Adult and Children Services)
  • Libraries
  • Blue Badges
  • Licensing Services (taxi drivers, window cleaners etc)
  • Leisure Services Membership (Live Argyll)
  • Bus Travel Card
  • Telecare

We can also contact the following agencies, if you ask us to:

  • Department of Work and Pensions
    • State Pension and Benefits
  • Social Security Scotland
  • HM Revenue and Customs
    • Child tax Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Personal Taxation
    • Help to Save
  • Driving and Vehicle Licensing Agency
    • Driving Licence
    • Registered Keeper
  • Electoral Registration Service
  • HM Passport Service

Your personal data

You will need to give us up-to-date information about the person who has died to make sure that we pass on the correct details to the other agencies we contact on your behalf.  Please make sure you bring with you their:

  • National Insurance number and date of birth
  • Details of any benefits or services they were receiving 
  • Their death certificate and/or Tell Us Once service number provided by the Registrar
  • Driving licence or driving licence number
  • Vehicle Registration Numbers registered to the deceased
  • Passport or passport number
  • Blue Badge or Blue Badge Number

We might also need to know about:

  • The next of kin
  • Any surviving husband, wife or civil partner
  • Anybody who is getting child benefit on their behalf
  • The person dealing with their estate

To use this FREE service please contact your Local Registrar

An easy to read information leaflet can be found here.

All the information you provided is confidential and will be treated securely.  The organisations we talk to will only use the information we give them as the law allows.  It is your responsibility to make sure that all information you give us is up to date.  If your circumstances change or you realise that the wrong information has been provided please contact the relevant organisations yourself direct.

Generic document icon
Tell Us Once Information Leaflet
Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.