Care Homes Information

Services  Referrals  Assessments  Charges  Contact us  Care homes in Argyll and Bute

Care Home services

Care homes provide 24 hour care services including support with all personal care. Weekly charges vary according to the providers rates and the rates include;

  • Personal and communal accommodation,
  • furniture,
  • bedding,
  • soft furnishings,
  • heating,
  • lighting,
  • electricity,
  • laundry (with the exception of dry cleaning),
  • housekeeping and all meals and snacks.

Also included is Chiropody (N.H.S.), Community Dentistry, G.P. and District Nurse Services, Physiotherapy Services, Occupational Therapy Services, Dietician Services. Other services are usually available at a small charge and these include:-

  • Visiting Hairdresser,
  • Daily Papers
  • Magazines and periodicals
  • Private Chiropody

Individuals are responsible for purchasing replacement personal clothing and footwear and personal toiletries.


Referrals for care home services are usually made by health care professionals (GP, District Nurse, ward staff, Occupational Therapist, Physiotherapist), carers, carers centres or are self referrals. Referrals should be made to the local social work department. All referrals are considered and the referrer will be notified that their request has been received and acted upon


An assessment of need will be carried out by a health or social work care manager appointed to the service user and this will fully include the person requiring the service. Assessments usually include health and social care staff and the outcome of the assessment will be shared with the person requiring the service and their representative. The assessment will outline the service that is needed to support the person in a care home. Assessments include a financial assessment and benefits checks to ensure that service users are receiving the full range of benefits that they are entitled to.

Charges for Care Homes

Argyll and Bute Council operate a Charging Policy and the financial assessment will determine how much individuals contribute to cost of a care home placement. Personal care and nursing care is free for people aged over 65yrs and depending on the outcome of the assessment individuals may be awarded free nursing care allowance or free personal care allowance towards the cost of their care home placement.

Eligibility criteria

The council will use a combination of the Indicator of Relative Need (IORN) score and the Prioritisation of Need framework when considering of a person is eligible for a care home placement. You can find out more information about how this is done on the Care Home Eligibility Criteria page.

Care Planning and review of service

  • Following an assessment of need a care plan that outlines the support required by the person and the desired outcomes from providing this support will be prepared. The Care Plan will be the basis for the delivery of the service and will be held in the service user’s room. The care provider will record at each visit the time and purpose of the intervention and any other relevant information that is necessary to ensure safe and consistent care for the service user.
  • Care arrangements will be regularly reviewed by the care manager, the care provider and the service user and/or their representative. Care service arrangements will be amended if the review of service indicates that this is necessary.


If you wish to make a referral or find out more about the provision of care home services you can contact us:


It is the policy of Argyll and Bute Council and NHS Highland that as far as possible older people will be supported to remain in their own home as independently as possible for as long as possible. It is recognised that there will also be a need for some people to be looked after in a residential care home and these places will be allocated to people assessed as having the highest levels of need.

Provision of service

Services are provided either by the council’s care home services or by an authorised provider who is registered with Social Care and Social Work Improvement Scotland (SCSWIS). Both the Council and independent providers are regulated by SCSWIS and are regularly inspected and graded by this independent regulatory body. All services commissioned by the council from private and voluntary providers are subject to stringent contract monitoring. You can read the inspection reports for care homes on the Care Inspectorate website - just search for the area or premises that you are interested in.

Care Homes in Argyll and Bute

The following is a list of Local Authority care homes in Argyll and Bute with contact numbers

NameAddress and main contactContact DetailsAreaType
ArdfenaigNan Anderson,
Tarbert Road, Ardrishaig, PA31 8EP
01546 603368
Mid Argyll, Kintyre and IslayLocal Authority
GortanvogieShona Huntchison
Bowmore, Isle of Islay, PA43 7JB
01496 810 338
Mid Argyll, Kintyre and IslayLocal Authority
Eadar GlinnAngela Webster
Drummore Road, Oban, PA34 7LW
01631 563219
Oban, Lorn and the IslesLocal Authority
Tigh a RhudaMarie Hendrie
Scarinish, Isle of Tiree, PA77 6UH
01688 301912
Oban, Lorn and the IslesLocal Authority
Struan LodgeCaroline Rae 
Bencorrum Brae, Dunoon, PA23 8HU
01369 707331
Bute and CowalLocal Authority
Thompson CourtHelen Rodgers
Townhead, Rothesay, PA20 9JH
01700 503166
Bute and CowalLocal Authority

Other Care Homes in Argyll and Bute

Centre Contact Telephone Address Postcode Areas Covered
Northwood (Third Life Care) Annette Gillies 01436 670222 114 Sinclair Street, Helensburgh G84 9QF Helensburgh
North Argyll Eventide Home Association Ltd Morag Ann Telfer 01631 562168 Bealach-an-Righ Dunollie Road, Oban PA34 5TG Oban
Mr and Mrs J young t/a Palm Court Catherine Young 01700 502170 11 Ardbeg Road, Rothesay, Isle Of Bute PA20 0NJ Isle of Bute
Morar Lodge Nursing Home Ltd Sandra Sallie 01436 678009 54-58 Glasgow Street, Helensburgh G84 9NS Helensburgh
Lochside Care Home (Clearvue Investments Ltd) Fiona Ness 01436 820102 Shandon, Helensburgh G84 8NN Helensburgh
Kintyre Care Centre (HC-One) Jason Woods 01586 553615 Shore Street, Campbeltown PA28 6BS Campbeltown
Etive House (West Coast Care Limited) Georgina Taylor 01631 720278 Benderloch, Oban PA37 1QW Oban
Ashgrove (McKenzie Care Homes Ltd) Jacqui Boyce 01369 700640 229 Alexandra Parade, Kirn, Dunoon PA23 8HD Dunoon
Argyle Care Centre (Clearvue Investments Ltd) Michelle Carr 01436 672511 21 West Argyle Street, Helensburgh G84 8XP Helensburgh
Ardnahein Grace Middleton 01369 703 371 10 Glenmorag Avenue, Dunoon PA23 7LG Dunoon
Ardenlee (TC Carehome Ltd) Sharon Blackwell 01369 702973 Bullwood Road, Dunoon PA23 7QJ Dunoon