Elected Members

PRIVACY NOTICE – Elected Members


In order to assist my constituents and to allow me to fulfil my role as an Elected Member, I need to collect, store, use, share and dispose of personal data. This is called data processing. When I process your personal data I must comply with data protection legislation. This privacy notice explains how I will use your personal data as an Elected Member of Argyll and Bute Council.

The Data Protection Officer, who is responsible for ensuring personal data is managed in accordance with data protection legislation, can be contacted as follows:

Address: Iain Jackson, Governance, Risk and Safety Manager, Argyll and Bute Council, Governance and Law, Kilmory, Lochgilphead PA31 8RT.

Email: Iain.Jackson@argyll-bute.gov.uk   or data.protection@argyll-bute.gov.uk 

Telephone:  01546 604188 or 01546 605522

Your Personal Data

What information is collected?

The information I collect from you which will include details of the issue you have raised with me, your name, address and other contact details as well as any other personal information required by the council service linked to your enquiry. The personal data you provide may also include special category information about you (also known as “sensitive personal data”) e.g. health or medical information, racial or ethnic origin. 


Why this information is needed

Your information is being collected for the following purpose(s):-

To support my role as an elected member, e.g. to allow me to undertake case work on behalf of individual constituents, to represent the interests of my constituency, and to further the interests of the ward in which I serve.  Please also note that in relation to any face to face surgery that I hold, and which a member of the public attends, I require to obtain the contact details of any person(s) who attend, in relation to the current track and trace system requirements, set down by the Scottish Government. 

The lawful basis for collecting your information in most circumstance will be:-

Article 6(1)(e) Public task – processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the Council.

Article 6(1)(c ) Legal obligation – in terms of Scottish Government requirement.

When collecting special category information, the following condition(s) apply:

  • For the provision of health or social care or treatment or the management of health or social care systems and services
  • For reasons of substantial public interest for aims that are proportionate and which contain appropriate safeguarding measures

Depending on the nature of your enquiry I may have to process special category data.  In these circumstance I will ask you to sign a consent form to record your consent to processing your information as detailed in the form. The consent form will also help me clarify your concerns or interests and ensure we both understand how your personal data and that of any 3rd party will be treated e.g. where the issue you have raised involves 3rd party or where the issue relates to a Social Work or Health concern.


What I will do with your information?

It is very likely that I will need to share your personal data with Council officers and I may have to share it with other Elected Members to address wider constituency concerns. I will not share any personal data which is not connected with a constituent’s case.   I may also be required to share personal data with the police or another law enforcement agency, for the prevention or detection of crime.

All of the information I collect from you will be processed by staff in the United Kingdom.  You should also be aware that your data will be stored on servers located within the United Kingdom; the data will not be processed outside the European Union.  I will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your data is kept securely and more information on how this is done can be requested from the Data Protection Officer.


How long will I keep your information?

I will not keep your personal data for any longer than it is needed, and will dispose of any records (both paper and electronic) in a secure way. In general, I will not retain your personal data without your permission beyond the end of this Council term 5th May 2022.  More information on the retention policy and procedure can be obtained from the Data Protection Officer if required.

In regard to any Track and Trace data recorded, as required and set down by the Scottish Government, your personal data, collected for these purposes, will be held for at least 3 weeks (21 days) – all personal data will be held and disposed of in a safe and secure manner. 


Automated Decision Making

No automated decision making will take place.


Your Rights

When you provide information to me, you will have the following rights:

  • to withdraw consent at any time, where the lawful basis specified above is consent
  • to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office – see below for details
  • to request access to your personal data – please contact the Data Protection Officer if you wish to submit a request.
  • to data portability, where the Legal basis specified above is i) consent or ii) performance of a contract
  • to request rectification or erasure of your personal data, as far as the legislation permits – please contact the Data Protection Officer and provide details of what data you wish to be rectified or erased.

You can find out more about your rights in relation to data protection here: www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/data-protection or from the Data Protection Officer by telephone or in writing, as detailed above.

Information Commissioner’s Office

The ICO is the UK’s independent body set up to uphold information rights.

Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Telephone:  0303 123 1113  

Email: casework@ico.org.uk 


The Information Commissioner’s Office – Scotland

45 Melville Street, Edinburgh, EH3 7HL

Telephone:  0303 123 1115 

Email: Scotland@ico.org.uk