Make a Planning Application

Information and forms to make a planning application

Due to the impact of Covid-19 lockdowns, and the closure of planning offices to the public, we are experiencing some delays in our timescales for processing and validation of planning applications - find the latest updates on our Planning Services here

Argyll and Bute Council actively encourage online submission of Planning applications via the Scottish Government ePlanning Portal. You can find guidance on using the ePlanning Portal in the ePlanning User Guide.  There are still some forms that are relevant to the Argyll and Bute Council and these can be downloaded from the tables below.

The National file size for individual files must not exceed 5Mb however, they can be any of the following formats: DOC/DOCX, GIF, JPG, PDF, TIFF, TXT, XLS/XLSX - we cannot receive zipped files.  We recognise that with some large applications it may be necessary to provide supporting documentation on CD/DVD - individual file sizes must not exceed 5Mb.  Large documents will require to be broken down into smaller segments, e.g. Appendices separated from the document, or dividing up the main document (e.g. Chapters 1-4, Chapters 5-6). 

It is the responsibility of the Applicant / Agent to ensure that individual file sizes are below 5Mb prior to submission of the Planning Application.  Failure to achieve the required file sizes may result in the Planning Application being made invalid upon receipt.  If you require further advice on minimising file sizes, please contact our Development Management Systems Technician on 01546 604853.

Please submit your completed paper application to:

Central Validation Team,
Planning and Regulatory Services,
1A Manse Brae,
PA31 8RD

Applications will only be considered received by the Council for validation purposes when it is acknowledged by the Validation Team.

If you are unsure about what should be submitted with your planning application please read the National Validation Guidance or contact our  for advice.

When a planning application is made the applicant's name and the site address are made available online to the public. Personal phone numbers, email addresses and signatures will not be displayed (as stated by the Data Protection Act 2018).

To find out how much it will cost for your application, please see the Planning Fees Guidance.
To find out if your application will need to be advertised in the press please refer to our Publicity Guidance Note.

NOTE: Before any building works can begin you should make sure that you have consulted with our Building Standards Team. In most instances it is likely that Building Warrant approval will also be required.

The information you supply on these forms will be used for the purpose for which you have provided it, and appropriate measures are in place to protect your personal data.  A full privacy notice, which provides information about your rights under current data protection legislation and details about what will happen to your personal data can be found here:

Pre-Application Stage

Description Apply Online Download Application Form Guidance (if applicable)
Pre-Application Advice -  an informal advice service on a variety of planning topics including planning permission, advertisement consent, listed building or conservation area consent, certificates of lawfulness, etc. Pre-application guidance - enquire online n/a Pre-Application Guidance
Pre-application Consultation (PAC) - to commence the PAC process for 'national' or 'major' developments   Pre-Application Consultation Screening Notice and Proposal of Application notice Summary of Key Issues, Process Pack for prospective applicants, and template notice for publication in a newspaper

Application Stage

Planning permission

Description Apply Online Download Application Form Guidance (if applicable)
Householder Planning Permission - for alterations or extensions to existing domestic dwellings (houses and flats) or for certain developments within the garden ground (curtilage) of these property types Householder planning permission - Apply online    
Planning Permission - when applying for most types of development e.g. new dwellings, alterations and extensions to commercial premises, changes of use and renewable energy production Planning permission - apply online    
Planning Permission in Principle - to establish the acceptability of the principle of a proposal and does not in itself give permission for any development to take place (formerly know as outline Planning Permission) Planning permission in principle - apply online    
Approval of Matters Specified in a Condition - for approval of conditions relative to an application for planning permission in principle to enable development to proceed  Approval of matters specified - apply online    

Planning consents

Description Apply Online Download Application Form Guidance (if applicable)
Listed Building Consent - required separately and in addition to planning permission and householder planning permission; for proposals to alter, extend or demolish a Listed Building Listed building consent - apply online    
Conservation Area Consent - for the total or substantial demolition of buildings or structures within a Conservation Area Conservation area consent - apply online    
Tree Works - for consent to fell or lop tree(s) subject to a Tree Preservation Order or within a Conservation Area Tree works - apply online    
Advertisement Consent - application for consent to display an advertisement e.g. shopfront signage or advance roadside signs Advertisement consent - apply online    
Hazardous Substances Consent   Hazardous Substances Consent Included in Application Form

Other types of planning applications

Description Apply Online Download Application Form Guidance (if applicable)
Non Material Amendment – a request under section 64 of the Act for minor variation of a extant planning permission n/a Non Material Amendment Application Form Non material amendment - guidance notes
Prior Notification - where prior notification is required for farm/ forestry developments, Domestic Energy (free-standing micro-wind turbines and air-source heat pumps) and demolitions not within Conservation Areas Prior notification - apply online    
Marine Fish Farms - for development of marine fish farms   Marine Fish Farm Application Form Included in Application Form
Fish Farm Prior Notification - Freshwater and Marine Aquaculture   Prior Notification Form Freshwater and Marine Aquaculture Guidance
Certificate of Lawfulness (Existing) - to gain formal consent for unauthorised developments which may now be outwith enforceable timescales and this can be proved Certificate of lawfulness (existing) - apply online    
Certificate of Lawfulness (Proposed) - to gain formal confirmation that a proposed development does not require the benefit of full planning permission Certificate of lawfulness (proposed) - apply online    
Mineral Works - for permission to extract minerals Mineral works - apply online    
Section 50 License - If you are applying for a premises license or provisional premises license then you will need a Planning Section 50 Certificate.   Section 50 Licensing Application Included in Application Form
Modification or discharge of planning obligations - use this form if you have obtained consent subject to a legal agreement  (Section 75) but now wish to amend the terms or discharge it altogether Modification or Discharge of Planning Obligations  




High Hedge Notice High Hedges Notice  

Guidance on High Hedges

More information on High Hedges at Citizens Advice

Post-Application Stage

Description Apply Online Download Application Form Guidance (if applicable)
Notification of Initiation of Development   Notification of Initiation  
Notification of Completion of Development   Notification of Completion  
Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.