Who requires a licence?
Any person breeding 3 or more litters of puppies in any 12 month period must be licensed. The requirement to be licensed applies whether the breeder sells or otherwise supplies a puppy as a pet to another person. The requirement to be licensed does not apply however to the breeding of dogs where the offspring are intended to be trained and used as assistance dogs.
The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (Scotland) Regulations 2021, regulation 3 and Schedule 1, Part 4 of the regulations.
General conditions for animal activities licences
Specific conditions for this licence
- New licence - £182.70
- Variation of licence - £137.03
- Charitable discount – 50% (applies to registered Scottish Charities and SCIOs)
- Licensing enforcement visit No. 1 - £159.86
- Subsequent enforcement visits: charged at hourly rate of £30.45 in half-hourly increments
- Veterinary inspection fees are re-charged in addition to the above
How to apply
If you believe you require a licence for this activity, please contact Environmental Health by email email@example.com or telephone 01546 605519 and let us know. We shall shortly be inviting applications for licences and will contact you when we are able to do so.