A number of sources of support are available to help people into work - whether its for young people looking to go into a job or further education, employers looking to set up job placements, or supporting the long-term unemployed to access skills, training and jobs
The Employability Team supports the long term unemployed, and helps people to access skills, training, opportunities and jobs.
Young Person's Guarantee
The Young Person’s Guarantee is a commitment to Scotland’s young people.
Every young person aged between 16 and 24 in Scotland will have the opportunity to access support to help them into work, based on their own personal circumstances and ambitions, including going to university or college, an apprenticeship programme, training, fair employment including work experience, or participating in a formal volunteering programme. Support will be particularly focussed on those young people who most need it.
The aim of this Scottish Government Funded Project is to deliver fairer and more inclusive communities where every young person has an opportunity to reach their potential. Young people entitled to support through this fund are those who are:
- Unemployed (excluding those in full time education);
- About to leave school without a positive destination;
- School leavers without a positive destination;
- In low paid employment;
- At risk of redundancy;
- At risk of losing an apprenticeship;
- Leaving training, volunteering, college or university without a positive destination;
- Without qualifications at SCQF 5 or above; or
Specific priority will be given to those who are considered to be most at risk and have multiple barriers to employment, to help support their engagement, participation and progression. Multiple interventions and options may be offered to ensure they get the most effective support in order to achieve the desired objectives.
Tailored to your individual needs, Argyll and Bute Council are currently offering eligible young people one of the following opportunities:
- In Work Training Allowance organised and managed by the council’s Employability Team. This will involve 26 weeks paid work experience with an employer.
- Modern Apprenticeship up to 52 weeks within the council’s Growing Our Own Team (all current positions now filled).
- Formal Volunteering Placements leading to a Saltire award.
To find out more and register your interest on any of the opportunities, please contact the Employability Team on 01586 555990, email email@example.com or visit www.youngpersonsguarantee.scot
UK Government’s Kick Start Scheme (16-24 year olds)
The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to create new, six month job placements for 16 to 24 year olds on Universal Credit who are at risk of long term unemployment. Employers of all sizes can apply for funding which covers:
- 100% of the National Minimum Wage (or the National Living Wage depending on the age of the participant) for 25 hours per week for a total of 6 months
- associated employer National Insurance contributions
- employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions
Employers can spread the start date of the job placements up until the end of December 2021.
From 3 February 2021, employers can apply directly to the Kickstart scheme for any number of job placements. DWP has removed the threshold of 30 job placements. Employers can also choose to apply through a Kickstart gateway, including those supporting sole traders.
Kickstart gateways already working with the scheme can continue to add more employers and job placements to their grant agreement.
Should employers not wish to apply direct to DWP the council is just one of three organisations classed as Kickstart Gateways and can help smaller businesses apply under the scheme.
We can provide:
- Access to enthusiastic new recruits
- Flexible and hassle free recruitment
- Wraparound Employability Support
Gateway organisations for Argyll and Bute include:
- Argyll and Bute Council;
- InspirAlba – with a focus on social enterprises; and
- The Adecco Group - commissioned by the Federation of Small Businesses at a national level.
Contact our Employability Team on 01586 555990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org