Gas Safety

Information on gas safety.

To make sure that gas appliances such as boilers, fires, ovens and hobs are fitted, fixed and serviced safely, only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out the work. If someone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer undertakes gas work, they are breaking the law and could put lives at risk.

As well as natural mains gas, the requirement extends to LPG, calor and other similar types of gas.

The Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on your gas appliance.  You should check that any gas engineer is on the Gas Safe Register and that they are appropriately qualified to undertake the work you need e.g. not all engineers can work on caravans or non-domestic properties. To prove they are legally permitted to work on gas, all Gas Safe registered engineers have an ID card with their own unique licence number and a photograph.  

If you suspect someone is working on gas illegally you can report them to Gas Safe or if an organisation is advertising as Gas Safe but they are not on the register you can report them to Trading Standards. 

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. You can see how many unsafe gas appliances have been found in your area by visiting

An audible carbon monoxide alarm will let you know if carbon monoxide is being released by an appliance. It is a requirement for a carbon monoxide detector to be installed in any room, including integral garages, where a new or replacement fixed combustion appliance (such as a boiler) is being installed. You should also install a detector in any habitable room where a flue passes through the room. You can find out further information about this requirement by contacting Building Standards.

You can contact Gas Safe at or by calling 0800 408 5500.

In a gas emergency telephone 0800 111 999.

Gas Safety in Commercial and Catering Premises

Most employers will have a duty to ensure that any gas appliance and associated pipework or flues installed in a place of work is maintained in a safe condition. This will normally involve an on-going programme of routine maintenance and inspection based on manufacturer instructions for the appliance. 

If you operate a catering business, further information can be found on our Gas Safety in Catering Premises page.

Gas Safety in the Home

If you have gas in your home then you should ensure the appliances are appropriately installed and maintained by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer, further information can be found at the Gas Safe Register’s guide to gas safety in the home.

Gas Safety in Let Properties

By law landlords must make sure:

  • pipe-work, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition;
  • that all appliances and flues that they provide for tenants use have an annual safety check
  • that maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by an engineer registered with Gas Safe Register;
  • all gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting;
  • a gas safety record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in;
  • they keep a copy of the gas safety record for two years.

You can find out more about gas safety in rented property by visiting

The requirement to undertake these checks extends to holiday lets including chalets and caravans.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.