Accident Reporting

Advice on reporting accidents in the workplace

Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR)

If you are an employer, a self-employed person or someone in control of work premises you will have duties under RIDDOR.

Reporting incidents, accidents and ill health at work is a legal requirement. This information enables the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities to identify where and how risks arise and to investigate serious accidents.

You must report:

  1. Deaths caused by workplace accidents
  2. Injuries to non-workers where they are taken to hospital for treatment, where those injuries are caused by a work-related accident
  3. Specified injuries to workers
  4. Injuries to workers which result in them being incapacitated for more than seven days
  5. Occupational diseases
  6. Dangerous occurrences
  7. Gas incidents
  8. Exposure to carcinogens, mutagens and biological agents

For more information on incident reporting and RIDDOR, please see the HSE’s website at

Accident reports must now be made online at

A telephone service is available for fatal and specified injuries only on 0845 300 99 23. This service is available Monday to Friday 8.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.