Why is Argyll and Bute Council distributing Scotland Loves Local Argyll and Bute gift cards?
Argyll and Bute Council is sending gift cards worth £120 to around 6,800 eligible households in the region. The cards, which can be spent across Argyll and Bute, will help support both residents struggling with the cost of living crisis and local businesses recovering from the coronavirus pandemic.
Funding for the project has come from a £1.48m Covid Economic Recovery Funding package awarded to the council by the Scottish Government - issue of the cards makes £798,960 available to be spent on our local businesses and help households.
Scotland Loves Local Argyll and Bute Gift Cards can only be spent with businesses that are signed up to accept the Scotland Loves Local Gift Card. There are more than 160 businesses of all sizes signed up to accept the gift card across the area already.
The Scotland Loves Local campaign looks to encourage people in Scotland to think local first and support businesses on their local high streets. The Scotland Loves Local Argyll and Bute Gift Card can be seen as a local currency - allowing people to spend their gift cards in their favourite local businesses, or on household essentials, in a way that keeps spending local longer for eligible households, benefitting the local economy in the process.
So that the funding available is targeted at those people in greatest need, eligibility for the cards is as follows:
- Each household awarded of Council Tax Reduction between 28th April 2022 up to 31st October 2022 is eligible for a gift card to the value of £120
- The gift card will be sent to the council tax reduction claimant
- Postal strikes may delay delivery so do not contact us about non delivery of the card until 9th December
- Those households in receipt of any other council tax discount or exemption are not eligible if they do not receive Council Tax Reduction in addition to this.
- Those households who are awarded Council Tax Reduction on or after 1st November 2022 are not eligible.
- Step 1 - Visit the Scotland Loves Local website,
- Step 2 - Insert your '16' digit gift card number, this should be entered as 16 numbers with no spaces
- Step 3 - Insert your '6' alpha/numeric activation code contained in letter 1 received week commencing 28 November,
Please Note - the activation code is case sensitive, please enter the code exactly how it appears on the letter using UPPERCASE letters i.e. LR2345 NOT lr2345
- Use your camera app to scan the QR code found below and also in the letter containing your Scotland Loves Local Argyll and Bute gift card - this will take you directly to a link into the activation website
You can also watch our video (above) that will take you through the activation process detailed above.
Where and how to spend
- You must activate your gift card by 28th February 2023. Once activated, your gift card will be valid for a period of 12 months
- When activated, you can spend your gift card in a variety of businesses in the Argyll and Bute Council region that are registered to accept them.
- The list of businesses that are signed up to accept the Scotland Loves Local gift card in Argyll and Bute can be found on the website https://scotlandgiftslocal.com/product/argyll-bute-gift-card/.
- Zoom in and out on the map and using the + and - boxes, click on the icons across the Argyll and Bute boundary to find out more about the businesses that are registered to receive your gift card
- Alternatively, below the map you can view a list of all businesses that are signed up to accept the Scotland Loves Local Argyll and Bute Gift and you can also sort the list using business type headings
- The value of the card can be spent in several different transactions over multiple businesses.
Our Contact Details
- Telephone - Our enquiry line 01546 605512 is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Visit our local customer service points for support open Monday to Friday 9am to 12.00pm
Q. I lost my card after it was activated
A. Unfortunately, if you lose your card after it is activated, we will not be able to replace the card
Q. I lost my card before it was activated
A. Contact us at one of our contact channels detailed above
Q. How do I check the balance I have on my card?
A. You have 3 options to choose from:
- Scan the QR code on your card to check your balance - this will take you directly to a link to open to display your balance
- Visit www.getmybalance.com - remember to have your 16 digit card number and your 6 digit card security code (both found on the back of your card) to hand
- Call the balance enquiry number on 01546 605512 - remember to have your 16 digit card number and your 6 digit card security code (both found on the back of your card) to hand
Q. I have changed address since 1st June 2022 and I am eligible for a gift card
A. Have you told the Argyll and Bute Council Tax Team your new address?
YES - Contact us at one of our contact channels detailed above
NO - update your details on the Argyll and Bute Council Tax change of address form
How to Register your Business
The Scotland Loves Local – Argyll and Bute Gift cards can only be used in registered businesses.
- Businesses need to have a MasterCard terminal
- Businesses must have premises in Argyll and Bute
To ensure your business doesn't miss out you can register on the Scotland Loves Local website.