How to register your child into Early Learning and Childcare
Children born between 1st March 2016 and 28th February 2017 are eligible for free Early Learning and Childcare from August 2019.
Parents can obtain further guidance from the Early Years helpline (01369 708503), Argyll and Bute Council, Argyll House, Alexandra Parade, Dunoon PA23 8AJ
Choosing a place for your child
- We believe it is important for your child to have Early Learning and Childcare in the same place for the full two years to provide continuity and a secure learning environment.
- We are aware of parents’ requirements for Early Learning and Childcare. However, it will not always be possible to offer your first choice. If your first choice is not available then the council has a procedure to allocate places.
For more information you can call our helpline service - 01369 708503
Registering for or changing your child's provider
- If you require to change/cancel your child's funded Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) placement please provide 4 weeks written notice to the Funded Provider of ELC.
- If you require to make a change to your child’s Early Learning and Childcare provider and are unable to give 4 weeks written notice due to unforeseen circumstances you must contact the Early Years helpline on 01369 708503 or email@example.com explaining the reason for your request.
- To register your child for Early Learning and Childcare outwith registration week, please contact your provider of choice who will advise you further.
- Download a copy of the Early Learning and Childcare Information for Parents Guide
Cross boundary requests
A parent who lives in the Argyll and Bute Council area who wishes to access Early Learning and Childcare in another authority should contact that authority or if you require further guidance please contact the Early Years helpline on 01369 708503.
- Early Learning and Childcare provision has no entitlement to transport.
- We are not obliged to provide transport, however, we recognise the unique rural nature of Argyll and Bute and transport may be available in exceptional circumstances.
- Following registration, parents who have exceptional transport difficulties should telephone the helpline on 01369 708503.
- Assistance with transport is considered for the current school year only i.e. a new request must be made for subsequent school years.
- Traditionally in Scotland all children between 4½ and 5 years of age at the start of the autumn term enrol in primary school.
- However, parents of children still aged 4 at the start of the school year (school commencement date) have a legal right to be deferred.
- Children whose fifth birthday falls in January or February have the right to start school at 4½. They also have the right to defer entry and to have a free Early Learning and Childcare place for an extra year.
- Children whose fifth birthday falls after the school commencement date and the end of December also have the right to start school. They also have the right to defer entry to school but a free Early Learning and Childcare place is not automatic for these children, it is at the discretion of the local authority.
- Find out more in our leaflet for parents