How to register your child into Early Learning and Childcare
Children born between 1st March 2020 and 28th February 2021 are eligible for funded Early Learning and Childcare in the academic year starting August 2023.
Late applications for 2022-23 should be submitted directly to your first choice ELC setting.
Registering for or changing your child's provider
- If you require to change/cancel your child's funded Early Learning and Childcare (ELC) placement please provide 4 weeks written notice to the Funded Provider of ELC.
- If you require to make a change to your child’s Early Learning and Childcare provider and are unable to give 4 weeks written notice due to unforeseen circumstances you must contact the Early Years helpline on 01369 708503 or firstname.lastname@example.org explaining the reason for your request.
- To register your child for Early Learning and Childcare outwith registration week, please contact your provider of choice who will advise you further.
Cross boundary requests
A parent who lives in the Argyll and Bute Council area who wishes to access Early Learning and Childcare in another authority should contact that authority or if you require further guidance please contact the Early Years helpline on 01369 708503.
- Early Learning and Childcare provision has no entitlement to transport.
- We are not obliged to provide transport, however, we recognise the unique rural nature of Argyll and Bute and transport may be available in exceptional circumstances.
- Following registration, parents who have exceptional transport difficulties should telephone the helpline on 01369 708503.
- Assistance with transport is considered for the current school year only i.e. a new request must be made for subsequent school years.
Additional year of Early Learning and Childcare
If your child is still age 4 on the day they would usually start primary 1 (P1), you’ve got the right for them to start primary school the following year instead, when they’re 5.
Children who have their fifth birthday between March and the first day of the school year, are due to start school in August.
From August 2023, all children with birth dates between the second day of term in August and the end of February, are automatically entitled to receive an additional year of funded ELC and enter P1 the August after instead.
Applications for an additional year of funded ELC for children with birth dates between 1st March and the first day of term in August, will only be granted in cases warranting this at the discretion of Early Years.
When do I need to decide/apply?
You need to indicate that you wish to apply for this additional year of ELC on the P1 application form.
Primary 1 registration will take place online w/c 16th January 2023.
You can speak directly to your child’s keyworker to help make a decision on what is best for your child and things to consider for your child.
You can also visit https://www.parentclub.scot/