Food Premises Approval

If you intend to manufacture, process, produce or handle products of animal origin such as fish or fish products, shellfish, meat products, minced meat and meat preparations, dairy products or egg products from your premises and supply these products to other establishments your operations may require to be "approved". The activities carried out in these types of premises are more strictly governed and require a higher standard of structure and operating procedures.

You cannot open your premises unless you have received a formal approval from the council.

Completing your application

How to apply

In the first instance you should contact your local council environmental health office to obtain advice and assistance.

Apply online

You can also download the application form  here.

The information you supply on this form will be used for the purpose for which you have provided it, and appropriate measures are in place to protect your personal data.  A full privacy notice, which provides information about your rights under current data protection legislation and details about what will happen to your personal data can be found here:

Contact us

You can contact us using our online enquiry form

By post at:

Argyll and Bute Council
Regulatory Services
PA31 8RT

Or phone: 01546 605519

The Application Process

Receipt of your completed application form and the appropriate fee will be confirmed in writing, and an unannounced licensing inspection carried out before your licence is issued. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us.

Objections and Appeals

If you have been refused a licence or do not agree with the licence conditions imposed you may appeal to the Sheriff Court. Sheriff Principal of North Strathclyde, Paisley Sheriff Court, St James Street, Paisley, PA3 2AW. They may give directions regarding the licence or its conditions as it sees fit.

If you do not have a licence or do not comply with any of the conditions, you may be prosecuted, fined up to £5000 and/or imprisoned for up to 3 months, or both. If found guilty under this Act, the defendant's licence may be cancelled and they may be disqualified from keeping a pet shop for such length of time as the Court thinks fit.


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Consumer Service will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain about the welfare of the animals, nuisance caused by the operation of the boarding establishment etc. or are one licence holder wishing to complain about another please contact us.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.