Feed Hygiene Registration

Licence Summary

To ensure that the quality of animal feed is maintained by using appropriate storage and transport arrangements. The Feed (Hygiene and Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2005 require feed businesses to register with Trading Standards.

Remember - Registration is free.

Eligibility Criteria

Eligibility Criteria

Do you:

  • Manufacture animal feeds?
  • Market animal feeds?
  • Import animal feeds?
  • Store animal feeds?
  • Transport animal feeds?
  • Sell co-products of the food industry as feeds?
  • Carry out on-farm mixing?
  • Feed food-producing animals?
  • Grow crops to be used as animal feeds?
  • Carry out other controlled activities?

If the answer is YES to ANY of the above then it is likely that the legislation applies to you - and you should be registered.

An explanation of the activities requiring registration is attached below.

Premises which were previously registered under the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Regulations 1998 are not required to register again under the new regulations, the EC Feed Hygiene Regulation (183/2005).

If you do not know if you are registered or if you have lost your registration number please contact Trading Standards with your holding number.

Make an application

Completing your application

How to apply

You can:

Apply Online

or download an application form below.

Feed hygiene application form (doc)

Approval and registration activities (pdf)


Registration is free.

Contact Us

For further information, please contact Trading Standards


The Application processThe Application process

The registration of your premises cannot be refused. Your application should be processed within 14 days.

After submitting your application you will receive confirmation of your unique registration number in writing.


Further questionsFurther questions

How often will my premises be inspected?

Currently Premises registered under the Feed Hygiene Regulations are rated as low risk by Trading Standards and due to staff resources are not routinely inspected.

I am unhappy with the quality of the Feed I have been supplied with who should I contact?

You should contact your local Trading Standards office; they can sample your feed and have it tested for compliance with the statutory statement of its ingredients.