Cooling Tower Registration

Any person operating premises which have a cooling tower or evaporative condenser located on site must register with the local authority. This is a statutory duty under the The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 Licence Conditions

Licence Conditions

The purpose of the registration scheme is to provide the local authority with information. This will allow discussions to be had with the proprietor in respect of the control of Legionella and detailed information to assist in any investigations. This is a health and safety precaution.

Completing your application

How to apply

You can download the application form.

You must provide the following information with your application:

  1. The address of the premises where the notifiable device is to be situated.
  2. The name, address and telephone number of a person who has, to any extent, control of the premises.
  3. The number of notifiable devices at the premises.
  4. The location on the premises of each notifiable device.
  5. A site plan illustrating the location of the cooling tower or evaporative condenser.

The information you have supplied on this form will be used for the purpose for which you have provided it, and appropriate measures are in place to protect your personal data.  A full privacy notice, which provides information about your rights under current data protection legislation and details about what will happen to your personal data can be found here:


There is no fee to register

Contact us

You can contact us using our online enquiry form

By post at:

Argyll and Bute Council
Regulatory Services
PA31 8RT

Or phone: 01546 605519

Eligibility Criteria

Any person can apply who has responsibility for the premises.

The Application process

On receipt of your completed application form we will arrange to visit the site and discuss the application with you. The details will be placed on the council register of cooling towers and evaporative condensers.

Your application will be considered and a visit will be undertaken to the site. There is no formal approval process and it is a registration scheme. There is no renewal process but any changes must be reported to us.

If you do not register or advise of changes to the details, it is an offence under the Act.


We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the service provider by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in Scotland, Advice Direct Scotland will give you advice or you can contact us directly. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other complaints

If you wish to complain, please contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.