Some guidance on keeping your bins clean:
- Recycle as much waste as possible to reduce the amount of waste you need to put in the bin.
- Always bag your rubbish before putting it in the bin.
- Always keep your bin lid closed. This stops flies and vermin from entering the bin as well as preventing cats, dogs, birds and foxes from getting access to your rubbish and splitting the bags open.
- Use a wheelie bin liner. These are large refuse sacks designed to fit inside the bin which can be used in addition to other bin bags/liners. Alternatively use a sheet of newspaper in the bottom of the bin to absorb any moisture and prevent loose waste sticking to the bottom of the bin.
- If possible, store your bins out of direct sunlight. This will slow decomposition of the waste, reducing smells and also slow the development of any maggots.
- Clean/wash your bin out regularly to get rid of any residues. Use an anti-bacterial cleaner, disinfectant or bicarbonate of soda to kill off any germs and reduce any smells.
- Maggots and flies' eggs can be killed by using bleach, boiling water or disinfectants. If maggots get into your wheeled bin, most of them will be removed with the refuse when your bin is emptied.