Know your building - act now before it needs major surgery
Go outside and look up for…
- Slipped or missing slates.
- Dislodged, leaking or overflowing gutters.
- Loose brackets for gutters.
- Staining suggesting broken/blocked downpipes.
In your flat or shop, look indoors for damp patches on ceilings
- In the middle of the ceiling?– could be a loose or broken slate or a plumbing leak.
- At the corner with an outside wall – a problem with gutters.
- At the corner by a gable wall – a problem with flashings.
Check your chimneyheads
- They are highly exposed to weather and often damaged by flue gases.
- Cap unused flues to prevent dampness (but make sure you leave ventilation lower down).
Check the outside walls for…
- Areas of decayed stone on external walls.
- Gaps in the pointing between bricks or stones.
- Cracks, especially those going across lintels above windows or snaking down the building.
- Cracks between stairs or between stairs and walls.
- Lintels or courses of stone off level.
- Bulging or leaning walls.
(These last four could indicate possible structural problems.)
Look in the close for…
- Loose or missing balusters – children could fall through.
- Uneven steps- a hazard to users.