Paying for Works and Grants

Paying for works is an owner’s responsibility.  The principle source of funding for major works is private loans. 

Any grant assistance to support an owner’s responsibility to pay for works is granted at the discretion of the local authority.  There is no ‘right’ to public assistance for private property.

The assessment for grant assistance for common works reflects this.  The first requirement is for applicants to be a member of a functioning owners’ association for the tenement.

Common Repair Grants will be considered for owner occupiers at 40% of costs up to a maximum of £10,000 and 30% of costs up to a maximum of £7,500 for private sector landlords or business premises.

Our Advice

  • Repairs and maintenance are unavoidable.  If you genuinely have no money to invest, particularly if common defects cause dampness to neighbouring property, consider selling and moving to alternative housing.
  • Don’t rely on grants.  If they are available, it’s a bonus, but the future of public funding for private works is very uncertain.

All grants come with a 10 year condition for the building to be maintained.  Owners should give careful consideration as to how this will be achieved as failure to do so will lead to any grant being reclaimed, with interest.


Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.