What is Fair Start?
Fair Start Scotland is the new employment support service for Scotland. It’s here to help people who want to work but find it difficult based on their circumstances.
Fair Start Scotland is delivered by PeoplePlus and trusted local delivery partners – in this case, Argyll and Bute Council’s Employability Team. Together, they have a lot of experience helping people back into work in a variety of ways, including:
helping to break down the barriers that might be stopping you from working:
- developing a programme of support which will help you to progress towards employment;
- keeping in contact and offering personalised support to ensure the service is meeting your needs;
- keeping in touch with you when you find employment to make sure everything is going well and to answer any questions you might have giving you the chance to take part in engaging activities to build your confidence.
Read our good news stories here - find out how the Fair Start service has helped people in Argyll and Bute get back into employment and change their lives
What will Fair Start Scotland do for me?
Fair Start Scotland will:
- Develop your skills and attributes – we’ll recognise the skills and experience you already have and work with you to develop these further. We will also help you to improve your confidence along with creating and updating your CV and interview preparation.
- Help you achieve your goal of employment or self-employment – we’ll give you a dedicated adviser who will help you search for work using a range of methods to suit your needs and will listen, guide and support you through our journey.
- Help you find suitable work placements or volunteering opportunities – we’ll provide support and help you find work that suits your circumstances and will help build your experience. You will retain full choice and control over the support you receive at all times.
Why is Fair Start Scotland different to other back to work services?
- You decide whether you want to take part and your participation is completely voluntary.
- It will develop the skills and experience you already have, preparing you for work.
- You have everything to gain and nothing to lose – taking part in Fair Start Scotland will not affect your benefits. The service has been developed by listening to the experiences of people who have benefited from employment support.
- We will help you build confidence through group work and social activities including topics around health and well-being.
- We can work with you flexibly to best suit your needs. Due to the ongoing pandemic, contact is currently being carried out by telephone or by using online platforms such as Skype, Microsoft Teams, etc.
- Regardless of your previous employment history or personal circumstances, we are committed to helping you find work.
Am I eligible?
Fair Start Scotland may be for you, if you are living in Scotland and eligible to work in the United Kingdom and are:
- over 18 and out of work; or
- 16 or 17 and are either disabled or in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit.