Waste Management For Businesses

Options for the collection and disposal of commercial waste.

The law requires all businesses to dispose of waste safely and securely. We offer various options for the collection and disposal of commercial waste.

The cost of this service depends on the size, and number, of bins you use and the frequency of collection that you need. Bins are available in various sizes ranging from 240 litres to 1280 litres.

If you have any questions about our Commercial waste and Recycling services or want to arrange the collection of your business’s waste, please contact us by using our online enquiry form or at the numbers below.

The information on this page is also available in our leaflet, which you can download or print:


Payment lines

  • Bute and Cowal - 01546 604669
  • Helensburgh and Lomond - 01546 604637      
  • Lorn and the Isles - 01546 604686         
  • Mid Argyll, Kintyre and Islay - 01546 604637                         

Advice and information

If you would like advice or help with any aspect of commercial waste, please contact your nearest area office on:

  • Dunoon - 01369 708600
  • Helensburgh - 01436 658877
  • Oban - 01631 569183
  • Lochgilphead - 01546 604636
  • Campbeltown - 01586 559011
  • Bowmore - 01496 30130

Recycling service

In many areas there are recycling services available for businesses.  We do charge for this service, however, it may reduce your overall waste costs and decrease the amount of waste going to Landfill.

The service we can offer depends on where you are based so please contact us for details of what is available in your area.

Alternatively we have a recycling ‘punch card’ scheme available which can be purchased from your local area office.  This card can be used at the recycling centres based in your local Civic Amenity Sites.


How to pay


Cheques should be made payable to Argyll and Bute Council and returned with Service Offer to 1a Manse Brae, Lochgilphead, PA31 8RT.

Payment should be made to: Clydesdale Bank, Lochgilphead

Sort Code – 82 66 11
Account No – 20000542 

You MUST quote your 13 digit remittance number to ensure your payment is matched to your premises.                               

Debit/Credit Card     

Monthly Direct Debit           
Please contact us for more details

If you can't pay

If you are experiencing difficulties paying, please contact us as soon as possible.

If we don’t receive your payment or your Direct Debit is rejected by your bank, this will result in the service being stopped.  Your service will only resume when we have received the outstanding balance.

If your Direct Debit is rejected regularly, you will need to pay the full annual amount before the service will resume.  This will also result in Direct Debit not being offered to you in the future and payment for the service will have to be made in full at the start of each financial year.

Requesting a Change To your Service

You will be allowed to change the frequency of service and/or the number of bins collected, free of charge, once per year.

Additional changes will be made as requested, wherever practical, however an Administration Fee of £40.54 +VAT (£48.65) will be charged each subsequent change in the contract in any one year.

Requested changes will start on the 1st day of the month following the request, wherever practical. Any change would only be allowed on a monthly basis.

Part Year or Variable Service

The Council can provide a part year or variable service however each variation to service will only be provided over full 3 month period which we ref to as Seasons.  We know that the dates we refer to as seasons do not correspond to actual seasonal dates.  The dates we offer for each season are: Spring 1 April – 30 June;  Summer 1 July – 30 September;  Autumn 1 October – 31 December;  Winter 1 January – 31 March.  You cannot, for example, request collection for a week or month.  It must be for an entire 3 month period (season).

Any changes to the contract will start on the 1st of the month wherever practical and can only be changed for complete calendar months.

Bed and Breakfast, Self Catering and Holiday Homes

Bed and Breakfast/self catering  properties and holiday homes paying Council tax will be allowed one domestic bin and a blue recycling bin (where such a service is available).  Any additional waste will be charged at a commercial rate.

If such properties are paying non domestic rates all refuse and recycling uplifts will be charged commercial refuse and recycling rates.

The Council reserves the right to consult with the Non- Domestic Rates section to verify if a property is listed in their records.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Why wasn't this information helpful

Limit to 250 characters.