Child sexual exploitation is a form of sexual abuse, in which a child or young person is manipulated or forced into taking part in a sexual act.
- It may involve an exchange of gifts, money,alcohol, emotional attention, protection or debt payment towards the victim or the person exploiting them.
- It can happen to any child or young person.
- For some young people the grooming process might seem like a normal friendship or relationship to begin with.
- It can happen online or offline, and without the child or young person being aware of it.
This training aims to give staff the tools to spot the signs of child sexual exploitation (CSE), identify risk factors, and confidently take action to help put a stop to this abuse and protect children and young people who may be at risk in Argyll & Bute.
By the end of the course participants will be able to
• Explain the key terminology and definitions in relation to CSE
• Describe how children & young people might be vulnerable to and become involved in CSE
• Identify risk indicators and spectrum of experiences in relation to CSE
• Develop strategies to increase confidence in direct work with children and young people regarding CSE
• Recognise the importance of information sharing and multi-agency partnership in responding to children and young people
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This is a new course in the training calendar, being rolled out across the authority. It is for all staff who work directly with young people or have a role in supervising or supporting child assessment and plans. It is particularly relevant for child protection co-ordinators in schools, guidance and support staff, social workers, youth workers, police, foster carers, residential staff, NHS staff and people with child protection responsibilities.
This training is targeted at the Specific & Intensive Contact Workforce Groups* from Education, Health, Social Work, Police, Youth Work Services & Housing. To identify which workforce group you fall into go to: http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/child-protection-training-levels
TO BOOK A PLACE:
Please use the online form on our child protection committee website to book your place: http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/forms/child-protection-training-booking-form
For course information contact Alex Honeyman, interagency trainer on 07833058953 or email@example.com
Places are limited so we ask you to book in advance to avoid disappointment. Please have your name, job title, workplace and full contact details when you e-mail or call us. You will receive an email a week or so before the course to confirm your place, start times and venue details. If for any reason you don't receive this please get in touch in case any last minute changes have been made.