Welfare reform

Welfare reform

 Help in
a crisis

Changes to benefits


The UK Government is changing the benefits system to try to make it simpler, to reduce dependency on benefits and encourage more people to find work. This is known as welfare reform.

A number of changes have been made since the government started to introduce the reforms in from April 2013. However more recently the further changes have been introduced in the following areas.

There will be other changes through new Scottish flexibilities to Universal Credit and other benefit streams details of which are about to be announced.

These changes are not only happening in Argyll and Bute – they are affecting the whole country. There is help and advice available and Argyll and Bute Council can assist you in a number of ways. Find out more about the changes and where you can get help on the following web pages.

Latest updates

These benefit changes have been set by the UK Government's Department for Work and Pensions, and some of the dates are still subject to change.Latest news suggests that Universal Credit may not affect people in Argyll and Bute until 2016. We'll let you know when these changes are confirmed.

Further advice

Get online at home

To find out how the changes will affect you:

To find out about getting back into work

For help with childcare issues:

For help with housing issues:

  • Housing services (out of hours) - 0800 587 7285
  • Housing services  – Lochgilphead 01546 604763
  • Housing services  – Oban 01631 567926
  • Housing services  – Campbeltown 01586 559054
  • Housing services  – Dunoon 01369 708680
  • Housing services  – Helensburgh 01436 658806
  • Housing services  – Rothesay 01700 501332
  • Housing and Council Tax benefits – 01546 605512
  • Shelter Scotland 0808 800 4444
  • Argyll and Bute Women’s Aid 0870 241 3548
  • Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline 0800 027 1234

For help with budgeting or debt: