IT’S time to nominate your sporting heroes for the Argyll and Bute Sports Awards 2017.
Argyll and Bute Council is inviting nominations for the awards, which aim to celebrate and reward the success and achievements of athletes, coaches and volunteers.
There are seven categories in the awards, which are being run in partnership with sportscotland.
Nominations are open from Monday 19 June until Friday 25 August 2017.
- Adult Youth Coach – for a coach who has made an outstanding contribution to the introduction or development of sport for young people under 18
- Young Coach – in recognition of a young coach’s contribution to sport in school or community club. Open to volunteers aged 12 to 25 who have demonstrated their enthusiasm and commitment over the past year
- Primary Young Leader – in recognition of contribution to primary schools sports clubs. Open to volunteers who were primary school pupils in academic year 2016/17
- Community Coach – for a coach who has supported the development and/or performance of athletes or teams and who has significantly increased or improved the sporting opportunities available
- Club of the Year – presented to a club that has made a significant impact on or contribution to the development of community sport
- Service to Sport – in recognition of outstanding contribution to sport in Argyll and Bute over a long period of time, who has shown considerable commitment to sport and who can demonstrate the impact they have made to individuals and the wider community
- Sporting Achievement of the Year – for a team or individual who has achieved considerable success in their chosen sport within a competitive setting.
Policy Lead for Communities, Councillor Robin Currie, said: “Argyll and Bute has hundreds of sports coaches and volunteers, not to mention talented athletes, all unsung heroes giving up their time to make a valuable contribution to sport and leisure across the area.
“Now’s it’s time for that commitment to be recognised.
“We would love to honour the enthusiasm and dedication they have shown and the successes they have achieved.
“Make sure your local sports stars are celebrated by nominating them for an award.”
Nominations can be made by completing the entry form at www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/sportsawards
Winners will be announced on Friday 8 September. Awards will be given to winners at their own clubs.
The seven successful individuals and teams will go forward to the sportscotland national 2017 awards.