Vehicle permits for Iona

Published Date: 

11 Aug 2017 - 11:45

VISITORS to Iona are reminded that specific traffic restrictions are in place to help protect the historic island.

Permits are needed to take a car onto Iona in a move to preserve the unique character of the popular location.

To drive a car onto the island you must be either:

  • An Iona resident
  • Owner of a property on Iona
  • A blue badge holder
  • A tradesperson or providing an essential service.

Policy lead for Roads and Amenity Services, Councillor Roddy McCuish, said: “Iona is an extremely special and historic place but its infrastructure is fragile and it cannot support a high volume of traffic.

“The local community is keen that visitors to the island – who are very much welcome – are aware of the permit regulations and ask them for their support in protecting this iconic location.

“Visitors will be issued with a permit if they are disabled and hold a blue badge, or are in the community to provide an essential service.

“Iona is a small island and it’s easy to get around on foot – for example, the Abbey is only 10 minutes’ walk from the Pier. Bikes can be hired on the island and there is a local taxi available. Plus, many accommodation providers offer a pick-up from the pier if they know when visitors are arriving.

“For those driving to the Iona ferry on Mull there is a free car park with capacity for 140 vehicles close to the Columba Centre and another car park at Fionnphort Pier which has space for 70 vehicles and is charged at £1 per hour.

“We all want to ensure Iona remains the wonderful gem that it is – we thank visitors for their support for and appreciation of our beautiful island.”

Iona is subject to a Prohibition of Vehicles Order which means permits can only be granted to residents, property owners who live there at least eight months a year, people who hold a blue badge, or those with vehicles being used for agriculture or forestry work, funerals, by the emergency services, by a doctor, nurse, vet, dentist or parish clergyman or woman, people carrying out work for the council, and drivers of delivery vehicles.

For further information and to apply for a permit, see  Also see