Act on your instinct to protect the vulnerable

exclamation icon
This page contains archived news material that may no longer be accurate. Please bear this in mind when referring to this page or using any information on it to access council services. Read our current news.

Published Date: 

23 Feb 2016 - 10:14


​People in Argyll and Bute are being urged to act on their instinct if they think an adult is being harmed, neglected or taken advantage of.

The Argyll and Bute Adult Protection Committee is asking people to get behind the Scottish Government’s ‘Seen Something? Say Something’ campaign which was launched on 15 February and urges people in Scotland to act on their gut feeling if they are worried that somebody may be experiencing harm or is at risk of it. 

Chair of the Argyll and Bute Adult Protection Committee, Bill Brackenridge said: "The abuse of vulnerable adults is completely unacceptable and sadly it can often go unnoticed. We need people in our communities to notice what is going on and make sure they report it so that appropriate action can be taken.

“It is our duty to look after vulnerable people in our communities. People often have a feeling that someone is being harmed or is at risk; a sense that something is not right. By acting on this, they could help a person who is at risk to overcome the situation and become safe from harm.

“If you thought a child was at risk of harm, you would do something about it. It should be no different for an adult, but many people are not aware of adult harm or of the need to act on their concerns.

“Adult harm can take many forms, such as physical, psychological, financial, and sexual harm and neglect. It can affect anybody, but people who can’t look after or stand up for themselves can be particularly at risk, whether through factors such as personal circumstances, physical or learning disability, age or illness and injury.

“We know sometimes people don’t want to get involved, for fear of being seen to intrude on other people’s privacy or that they might be wrong about the situation. But it is vital that they do raise concerns with their local council. And it is safe to do – you don’t need to provide your personal details and the authorities will check the situation sensitively and support will be given, if needed.”

For your local contact details, visit or for advice and support log on to ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​