ARGYLL and Bute Council’s new build of Kirn Primary school through the Scottish Government’s Schools for the Future Programme is due to start later this year. One of the key considerations for the council is to ensure that pupils at the school continue their education with minimal interruption.
Following discussions between head teachers and education officers, a solution for the Kirn Primary School decant has been developed and agreed by members of the council’s Policy and Resources Committee on Thursday 19th March.
While their brand new school is under construction, Kirn Primary pupils will relocate to the nearby Dunoon Grammar School, to a separate classroom wing and playground space. Enabling works to facilitate the decant to the grammar school will be carried out during holiday periods, again to minimise disruption to the life of the school.
Argyll and Bute Council’s Policy Lead for Education and Lifelong Learning, Councillor Aileen Morton, said: “As we progress our plans to invest in a brand new school for Kirn, the successful management of the decant has been a major factor.
“It is really important to make sure that there is as little disruption as possible to the learning and teaching environment. Using Dunoon Grammar School to accommodate the Kirn pupils helps us to achieve this.
“We have liaised with head teachers and the council’s school transport and catering services to make sure that all the arrangements are positive and effective. Every effort will be made to make the decant as seamless as possible before Kirn Primary pupils return to their brand new school just a short distance away.
“Council officers have written to parents of pupils at Kirn Primary, Dunoon Primary and Dunoon Grammar schools to keep them up to date with these practical arrangements which provide excellent educational opportunities for the pupils and staff of both schools.”
The Kirn Primary decant to Dunoon Grammar School offers:
- Separate, secure accommodation classroom wing and playground space to accommodate the classrooms for all of Primary 1 to 7 in a modern school building with separate toilet provision for the primary pupils being provided also within the main building
- Modular playroom accommodation with toilets and external play space will be provided for Early Years, but located in close proximity to the wing housing Primary 1 to 7. The overall accommodation provided must meet the requirements of the Care Inspectorate
- Enhanced opportunities between the primary and secondary schools for learning and achievement experiences for children and pupils, and partnership working amongst staff
- Enhanced curricular opportunities through use of specialist facilities to deliver an enhanced Primary 7 transition period
- The close proximity of both schools will allow pupils, parents and staff to continue to travel to school and work in the same way as they currently do
- The Grammar School catering facilities will ensure that all primary children are able to have their lunch at the same sitting
- All after school clubs for all pupils and use of the school for meetings and community use can be maintained.
- The potential for an earlier site start to the refurbishment of Dunoon Primary School