Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chambers, Town Hall, Campbeltown

Contact: Theresa McLetchie - Tel: 01546 604511 

Items
No. Item

1.

APOLOGIES

Minutes:

 

 

Apologies for absence were intimated by:-

 

Margaret MacFarlane

Helen Watts

Councillor Donald Kelly

Darlene Russell

Dhonna McCallum

Councillor Robin Currie

John Lamont

Ishabel Bremner

Jane Mayo

Chris Haran

Jane McKenzie

Alistair McKinlay

Maryanne Stewart

 

 

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting.

 

 

2.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING - 24 FEBRUARY 2012 pdf icon PDF 86 KB

Minutes:

 

The Minute of the last meeting was approved as a true record.  This was proposed by Susan Paterson  and seconded by John Bakes.

 

 

Matters Arising:

 

The Chair stated that all issues arsiing from the previous meeting had been fully actioned and several of the items would be discussed during the meeting. 

3.

INFRASTRUCTURE

3a

WIND TOWER LIMITED

Minutes:

David Roger reported that the new factory was trading well and the order books are extremely healthy.  It was hoped that the company would be bidding for bigger off-shore project work.

John Bakes enquired if relevant lay-bys would be adapted to encompass transport carrying the large output from the factory.  David Roger replied that road widening would be undertaken to account for the wide loads.

   

3b

MACHRIHANISH MOD SITE - ABC, IAN WARDROP

Minutes:

The Chair informed the group that Scottish Water in conjunction with a firm of engineers were undertaking tests in regards the provision of a Public water supply both at Machrihanish and outwith the base.  David Roger stated the MACC Business Plan had included a contingency for resolving the infrastructure problems, and the MACC Board were presently in the process of making a decision regarding this issue.  Scottish Water were undertaking the investigative work as part of a due diligence.   

3c

CAMPBELTOWN AIRPORT - HIA LTD

Minutes:

Roger Hage, Director of Service Deliver, Loganair Limited provided a written update which was tabled at the meeting.

Discussion ensued in regards problems encountered by NHS patients utilising this route to Glasgow for scheduled appointments.  Susan Paterson stated that, in her view, lack of communcation and notification were the primary issues for passengers complaints on the service.  She continued that when passengers were not alerted to or/provided with information regarding flight delays, the consequent effect was disproportionate as regards missed appointments/treatments, etc.

Roger Hage replied that Loganair were constantly and consistently trying to address this issue and a passenger service trainer had been appointed, who functions as part of the Service Delivery team.  Her remit was to improve the information disseminated to passengers, with partiuclar emphasis during periods of adverse weasther when anxiety and worry over travel may be heightened.

Further discussion took place regarding the Public Service Obligation (PSO) burdens and limitations on the route.  It was agreed that the KIWG would review this at a later meeting and that enquiries would be made on this issue.

 

Action:  Stephen Doogan would request that the Strategic Transportation manager liaise with HIE to confirm the extent of the legal and commercial  constraints of the PSO.

 

The Chair thanked Roger Hage for attending the meeting and providing an update on issues raised by the group.     

 

3d

SCOTTISH WATER

Minutes:

Jane McKenzie had sent her apologies and had provided a short written report for attendees.

 

 

ODOUR ISSUE – TARBERT

 

Tarbert treatment works is operating effectively.  The odour issue was caused whilst tanks at the works were being emptied.

After discussion with Cllr Horn, it had been agreed that future maintenance/tank emptying would be publicised in advance so that the local community is aware that work is being carried out and that some odour may be experienced for known short periods.

 

MEADOWBURN ROAD – CAMPBELTOWN

 

The network service operator has visited site on a couple of occasions and has not been able to find any odour issue.  However, Scottish Water will continue to monitor this and would ask that when this occurs it is logged with the Scottish Water call centre for investigation.

 

BURST WATER MAINS SOUTHEND

 

The frequency of bursts does not meet the criteria for mains renewal.  However, Scottish Water will continue to monitor this over the coming months.

 

4.

TRANSPORT

4a

ROAD ISSUES

A report by Stewart Clark, Contracts Manager.

Minutes:

Stewart Clark updated the group on recent and forthcoming road works in the Kintyre area.  These included:-

 

A83      -           Kennacraig – Clachan

Kilmahoe

Achnafad

 

Stewart reported on a new process which they had undertaken at Stewarton.  John Bakes commended the procedure and resulting road finish.

Stewart Clark advised that the works at New Quay were on track and the programme was due to complete in October.  He advised on the proposed road widening at Muasdale. Argyll and Bute Council had allocated half a million pounds for this project.

Susan Paterson questioned the programme which the Roads department had in place to undertake work on local roads.  She reiterated that to encourage tourism to the area, both main roads and rural roads needed to be vastly improved. Stewart Clark replied that Argyll and Bute council were very conscious of this issue.

 

Action:  Stewart Clark would bring a sample 4-week roads revenue programme to the next KIWG meeting.

 

John Bakes enquired if Argyll and Bute council still undertook spraying in areas where Japanese knotwood was prevalent.  Stewart Clark replied that they still carried out spraying on road verges.  However, problems could arise if the Japanese knotwood was on private land, since this is the responsibility of the landowner.

 

 

 

     

5.

SUPPORTIVE BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT

5a

BUSINESS GATEWAY pdf icon PDF 233 KB

A report updating on the delivery of the Business Gateway service.

Minutes:

A report was provided updating the group on the delivery of the service. 

Mary Kennedy detailed news of a proposed networking event which would be held by Business Gateway in conjunction with the Federation of Small Businesess.  The venue would be Campbeltown, a date had not been scheduled, as yet.

Audrey Baird enquired whether the courses organised by Business Gateway were open to the Third Sector.  Mary assured the group that the courses were open to everyone.

 

 

 

5b

HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS ENTERPRISE pdf icon PDF 33 KB

Minutes:

A report was received updating on the details of financial assistance given to businesses, community groups and other organisations.

5c

TAILORED TRAINING - ARGYLL COLLEGE

Minutes:

Dhonna McCallum and Darlene Russell had been unable to attend the KIWG meeting.  However, a written report was tabled, updating attendees on full-time and short full-time courses which would commence in August 2012. 

David Roger informed the group that discussions were being held between Skills Development Scotland/Argyll College and HIE in regards organising  courses which would develop skills for work relevant to off-shore projects.

 

5d

AGRICULTURE - LUCY SUMSION / JOHN FORSTER

Minutes:

There were no represetnatives or reports received on this item.  

6.

PLANNING, PLACE AND PARTNERS (INCLUDES THIRD SECTOR PARTNERS)

6a

AVA

An update from Pat Dean, AVA.

Minutes:

Pat Dean provided a short update to attendees with details of her remit and her service provision in Community Engagement.  She was endeavouring to engage with local groups and organisations who required the input which she could provide.  She informed the group of the new Community shop which was due to open shortly at 32 Longrow, Campbeltown. The ethos of the shop would be to enable the community to donate/buy and recycle goods and would be community-based, in that local community groups could apply for small amounts of money for their projects. The shop opening was planned for 4 May.

 

 

6b

COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT

An update from Audrey Baird, Community Development Officer.

Minutes:

Audrey Baird reported on the recent first tranche of Third Sector grants.  She advised the group on the demand for funding from local organisations in the MAKI area and the limited amount of grant funding which was available.  A very limited second tranche of funding was available and consideration would be given to this later in the year. 

Audrey informed the group on the success of the recent event held in Lochgilphead to provide information on alternative ways for local organisations to generate money/funding.  The event had attracted 100 attendees and it was proposed to hold more local events.    

Audrey Baird continued that another integral part of her role was that as the Co-ordinator of the Public Health Network.  She informed the group that funding had been continued.  The point of contact for health-focused projects was Eleanor Sloan.  Further information in regards Health and Wellbeing network was availabe on the Council website.

Audrey raised the issue of the need to increase usage of local community centres.  She informed the group of the reduction in hours at community centres, which would impact onto stewarding and janitorial duties. 

 

Action:  Audrey Baird would arrange for a presentation detailing the facilities and equipment available at the Campbeltown Community Centre at the next KIWG meeting scheduled for June.

 

Susan Paterson raised the issue of groups (which comprised predominantly elderly members) who would experience difficulties in moving/setting up tables and chairs at the Community Centre  for their meetings.  Audrey Baird highlighted the need to alert the Community Centre in advance of problems envisaged by such groups.

 

* An email expanding on this topic is attached with the Minute

 

Susan Paterson related that she had recently attended a Community Health Education exchange event.  She informed the group of the Keep Well Campaign which involved health checks for local residents in the 40-64 age bracket.  Carol Muir, Senior Health Promotion Officer, NHS Highland was involved in setting these up in the local area.

 

 

6c

CHORD PROJECT

Minutes:

Ishabel Bremner was unable to attend the meeting, but had provided a written udate which is detailed below.

 

1.      Council’s Proposed Project Bid to Coastal Communities Fund

 

To develop and deliver an overarching Argyll and the Isles marine leisure and tourism product which will increase access to our coasts, generate new employment and economic opportunities whilst sustaining existing tourism related employment.

 

The Council and partners are making a submission to the new HM Treasury Coastal Communities Fund for a pan Argyll project focusing on marine leisure and tourism development to create employment opportunities. This should  enable Argyll and Bute to develop and promote access to one of its prime assets, its outstanding marine and coastal environment, and facilitate further growth in this key sector of our economy in a sustainable manner. 

 

The project is still in the initial stages of development with a stage one bid to be submitted by Friday, 27th April with a decision in May. If successful the stage two bid will need to be fully developed and submitted in September for decision in December.

 

2.      CHORD

 

Campbeltown Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) – open day held for the Old Schoolhouse, a key building in the THI Project.

Campbeltown CARS (Conservation Area Regeneration Scheme) complete 31st March 2012.

Campbeltown Town Hall Needs Analysis - draft report completed.

Kinloch Road Regeneration – work started on hard landscaping element of public realm as part of Park Square road project.

 

 

6d

TOWN HALL UPDATE

Minutes:

Eric Spence (Consultant) provided a written report updating the group on progress to date on the Town Hall.

 

The Community Consultation- Needs Analysis report has been finalised after feedback from the relevant stakeholders and Big Lottery. The main findings of the Needs Analysis are:

546 individual respondents completed the questionnaire accounting for almost 10% of the population of Campbeltown. 40 local businesses completed the Business Survey.  Overall the vast majority of people felt that there was not the right mix of community facilities and activities available locally. Furthermore, the quality of existing facilities was deemed not to be up to the required standard by the majority of respondents.

There was particular emphasis on the requirement for better provision of facilities for young people, parents with young children and the elderly.  There appeared to be a need for suitably sized and appropriately located spaces for local artists and musicians and a variety of small sports, dance and fitness classes to undertake these activities.

Similarly many small charities operating locally are seeking a suitable venue for regular fundraising events particularly Coffee Mornings and dances.  On the commercial side, our survey indicated a lack of good quality office space in the centre of Campbeltown. There also appeared to be a significant market for a large function room in Campbeltown which would be a fitting venue for wedding celebrations, ceilidhs and similar events.

 

An Options Appraisal was undertaken to assess the ability of local community halls to meet the range of needs identified in our community consultations. An Options Appraisal Report has been completed and finalised after feedback from the relevant stakeholders. A summary of the Options Appraisal is as follows:

After an initial review of 11 community use halls it was decided to concentrate on those most likely to be able to meet a variety of needs identified in the Needs Analysis.  The following options were explored further and appraised against a set of criteria including: Cost/Leverage, Impact, Equity, Strategic Fit, Risks, Acceptability and Ease of Implementation.

 

1. Town Hall

2. Community Centre

3. Old Courthouse

4. Victoria Hall

5. New Build

6. Do Nothing

 

The Town Hall Project was identified as the preferred option available to address the expressed needs of the Campbeltown community.

 

 

Based on the appraisal of the various options against the criteria, a refurbished Town Hall would be better able to meet the needs of a wider range of groups and individuals than any other alternative facility locally.

 

A Final Draft of the Campbeltown Town Hall Business Plan has been completed. This comprehensive document presents a strong case for the viability of running the Town Hall as a community facility. The Business Plan established the following:

Total costs for the refurbishment of the Town Hall estimated at £1.3M.  Funding of £350,000 has been allocated to the project from the Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI).  Funding is being sought from Big Lottery - Growing Community Assets for the remainder of the costs (£950,000) and preliminary discussions have begun in this regard.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6d

6e

TOWN CENTRE MANAGER

Minutes:

The Chair informed attendees of the replacement for Aileen MacLennan, who was on maternity leave.

 

Mary Dott had been appointed to the positon and was based in the THI office at 3 Harvey’s Lane in Campbeltown.  She would be available on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

7.

INWARD INVESTMENTS - KEY FACTORS

7a

BUSINESS IMPROVEMENT DISTRICTS SCOTLAND

Minutes:

Pamela Galbraith spoke to her report which was tabled at the meeting, updating the group on the recent developments in regards the BIDS. The group have adopted a waiting brief to see how other BIDS areas work out before re-initialising this process.

.

The Chair thanked Pamela for the hard work, time and commitment that she had invested in the co-ordination of the BIDS work.

 

Action: The group agreed that a paper would come to the KIWG late Summer/early Autumn updating on the status of BIDS in Campbeltown.

 

7b

ARGYLL AND THE ISLES STRATEGIC TOURISM PARTNERSHIP

Minutes:

There was no representative from the Argyll and the Isles Strategic Tourism Partnerhsip.

It was agreed that Theresa McLetchie would forward a further invitation for the next meeting scheduled for June.

7c

KINTYRE WAY

Minutes:

John Bakes informed the group of  further funding which should enable it to funciton until September.  He reported that a full Business Case had been prepared and submitted to Argyll and Bute Council.  A further applicaiton had been made to Coastal Communities.

John stated that the recent geo-cashing weekend had been attended by approximately 70 people.

The path on the Kintyre Way had been diverted Torrisdale Castle - Saddell.

 

Alan Walker advised the Group that Village SOS had awarded lottery funding to Network Carradale Limited to enable the company to establish a mountain bike centre in Carradale.  Also,  Alan Walker advised of the LEADER funding awarded to Carradale Harbour Group

 

 

7d

ENERGY (RENEWABLES) - ISHABEL BREMNER

Minutes:

1.      Renewables

 

A review of the Renewable Energy Action Plan (REAP) has been progressed by lead partners Argyll and Bute Council (A&BC) and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE), in close consultation with partners and the Argyll and Bute Renewables Alliance (ABRA*). The draft action plan was reviewed by ABRA partners on 2nd March 2012.  A&BC and HIE are currently reviewing the draft plan following final input from partners, before it is finalised.

ABRA held its first meeting for 2012, 2nd March 2012, at the Scottish Marine Institute, Dunstaffnage, by Oban. Topics for discussion included, the review of the REAP, Skills Development, Community Policy, Encouraging Business Growth Opportunities and the Tiree Onshore Scenario Mapping study.  Notable progress included:

The skills sub group formed (including Skills Development Scotland, HIE and A&BC) and has initiated a skills demand mapping exercise, working closely with the industry, in order to better understand the skills requirements moving forward and areas of focus for future skills development. 

Funding has been secured for the development of an ‘Argyll College Engineering Facility’ in Lochgilphead, providing both general engineering and specific renewables training across Argyll and Bute.   

Partners agreed with recommendations outlined for a review of the Argyll and Bute Council Policy on Community Benefit from wind farms. A&BC will progress the necessary work required to finalise the proposed update. Partners agreed to ensure alignment of ongoing discussions and work relative to offshore wind. 

 

Tiree Onshore Scenario Mapping:

The draft Tiree Onshore Scenario Mapping is open to consultation for six weeks, due to close Friday 27th April 2012. The draft report and comment forms are available throughout this time from www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/tireeconsultation, as well as available in hard copy on Tiree.

 

 An ‘EU Offshore Wind and Marine Energy Seminar’ was held following the meeting of ABRA 2nd March 2012. This considered offshore wind and marine energy opportunities in the west coast Highlands and Islands, the related infrastructure and skills requirements, and the role of European policy and funding to maximise opportunities for sustainable economic growth. The presentations provided on the day and outputs of this seminar are available to view at http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/planning-and-environment/renewable-energy.

 

(*ABRA – Argyll and Bute Council, HIE, Scottish Government, Marine Scotland, Scottish Power Renewables, Scottish and Southern Energy, The Crown Estate, Scottish Natural Heritage and Skills Development Scotland.  The alliance facilitates a co-ordinated partnership approach to assist with the ongoing implementation and development of the REAP.)

 

 

 

 

8.

LOCAL AREA COMMUNITY PLANNING (LACPG)

8a

Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Local Area Community Planning Group pdf icon PDF 59 KB

Minutes:

The group considered a paper which detailed the result of the recent Community Planning Partnership self assessment process.

The group accepted the recommendations of the report.

 

 

8b

LACPG Meeting date

It was agreed at the March LACPG  that the next meeting would be scheduled in June 2012. 

Minutes:

The next MAKI LACPG meeting was proposed for June 7 in Lochgilphead.  This would be confirmed after the local elections in May.

9.

A.O.B.

Minutes:

Harvard Davis reported that they were working on the Business Plan to see what is financially possible and sustainable. David Campbell of Campbell & Co. is looking at the Interpretive Plan for the main auditorium and what might happen in the annexe.

 

The Chair congratulated both Harvard and Jane Mayo on their hard work and commitment.  He hoped that the Wee Picture Hous would enhance Campbeltown's potential as a major visitor attraction.

 

Pat Dean reminded the group of the forthcoming Volunteer of the Year Award.  Further information would be disseminated.

 

10.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Minutes:

The next meeting was scheduled for 29 June 2012.

 

 

VALEDICTORY

 

The Chair thanked the group for all their support and commitment in his time as Chair.