Venue: Council Chambers, Kilmory, Lochgilphead. View directions
Contact: Sandra McGlynn: Tel 01546 604401
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
An apology for absence was intimated on behalf of Councillor Michael Breslin.
DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST (IF ANY)
There were no declarations of interest intimated.
Short Life Working Group on Political Management Arrangements of 9 September 2013
The Minutes of the Short Life Working Group held on 9 September 2013 were approved as a correct record.
The Short Life Working Group on Political Management Arrangements (SLWG) considered a report which updated Members on developments given the decisions taken at the last meeting held on 9 September 2013.
1. Agreed to recommend to Council;
(a) the proposal to adopt the structure as shown in Appendix 1 of the report, which involved a Policy and Resources Committee, Community Services Committee (including education, health, housing, social work and communities), Environment, Development and Infrastructure Committee, together with the existing PPSL, PRS and Audit Committee;
(b) that a Council meeting take place at the conclusion of a cycle of Committee meetings (e.g 6 per year);
(c) that a call in provision be reserved for Council with the detail yet to be scoped out;
2. Noted that detailed remits for each Committee would have to be finalised and be subject to further consultation with Elected Members and detailed consideration by the group taking into consideration;
· the size of each Committee (recommended between 16 – 18 Members and taking into account political and geographical representations)
· delegations with clear linkage to strategic priorities
· frequency and timings of meetings
· structure of Agendas
· improved style of reports
· increased use of IT packages by Members
· increased use of video conferencing for meetings
· role of Lead Councillors
· costs of implementation
3. Agreed to recommend to Council the model Standing Order as attached at Appendix 3 of the report to allow participation in the work of the Service Committees;
4. Agreed to recommend to Council the extension of powers to Area Committees in principle subject to further consultation and;
· determination of possible financial delegations
· further guidance and definition in relation to Appendix 4, 1 (d) “to approve the acquisition, sale or lease of land or buildings within their area”
· inclusion of Council decision of 8 August in relation to allocation of additional income raised through Council tax on empty properties, and how these funds would be administered;
· clarification of functions of Chord Projects which should be taken forward at an area level
5. Agreed not to introduce a Petitions function; and
6. Noted that the Monitoring Officer would bring forward proposals in regard to conduct issues.
DATE OF NEXT MEETING
Noted that the Executive Director – Customer Services, in conjunction with the Chair, would agree to and inform Members of the date of the next meeting of the SLWG.