Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chambers, Town Hall, Campbeltown

Contact: Theresa McLetchie, Area Committee Services Assistant. Tel :01546 604511 

Items
Note No. Item

1.

APOLOGIES

Minutes:

Apologies were intimated by George Harper.

2.

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 11 AUGUST 2009

Minutes:

The Minutes were approved as a true record.

3.

CAMPBELTOWN INFRASTRUCTURE IMPROVEMENTS

A verbal update.

3a

NEW QUAY

Minutes:

Arthur McCulloch advised the Board that the New Quay project in on schedule with work due to commence in the middle of February, when drilling would take place.  The design programme is progressing and results should be visible within 2 – 3 months.  There are on-going discussions with Welcon.  The cranes which would be utilised would be enormous.  

 

It was agreed that a public ‘drop in event’ would be organised to enable members of the public to express their opinions on the pier and road projects.

 

Nicola Debnam advised that the HIE are working in collaboration with BC ??? – crane operators.

 

Audrey Martin stated that discussions are being undertaken with Scottish Power Renewables regarding the possible use of Machrihanish and Campbeltown for tidal energy.   

3b

CORNER OF OLD QUAY

Minutes:

Arthur reported that they are liaising with Stuart Green regarding vehicle access for Hall Street. 

 

Councillor Semple stated the importance of the marina to the Town Centre.  Councillor Colville expressed his reservations on the size and scale of the marina project.

 

Neil Brown presented the Board with drawings of potential parking implications.  The possibility of using a lay-by on the footpath at the corner of the Old Quay was put forward.  However, budget consideration has not been given to this.

 

Action:  Nicola Debnam would obtain copies of these drawings for Board members.

 

    

3c

PARK SQUARE - OPTIONS FOR ROAD AND HOUSING/ASSOCIATED TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT IMPLICATIONS pdf icon PDF 60 KB

 A report

Additional documents:

Minutes:

After discussion, it was agreed that the preferred option would be the diagonal approach (Page 5).

 

Action:  Neil Brown to instigate extra action on Town Centre management??

 

 

3d

PARK SQUARE - MACHRIHANISH

Minutes:

A meeting had taken place with Strathclyde Police to discuss passing places.  There is no budget allocation, but this needs to be progressed.  Still awaiting a response from Strathclyde Police.

 

Linda Haig stated that there would be challenges with ACHA.  It was agreed to schedule a meeting between Linda and Nicola Debnam.      

E1

4.

CAMPBELTOWN KINLOCH ROAD REGENERATION

A verbal update.

E1

4a

DEPOT RELOCATION

Minutes:

Nicola Debnam reported that Operational Services had been tasked with an option appraisal exercise.  This had resulted in the relocation of the Depot.  Sandy MacTaggart had been involved in re-scoping discussions for various operations.  The results of which would be available by the end of February.

 

The Board were advised that Councillor Kelly had been involved in discussion with the MoD.  The MoD were reciprocal to enter into further negotiation to enable a workable solution.

 

(Copy of email has been attached for information).

 

At present, the Depot land is not required.  However, the Board would receive a further update by February 2010.  It was agreed that the priority is the site being fully prepared and given to ACHA.  Councillor Colville stated that he had not seen any costings for site preparation.  He advised that work had been initiated on utilising the Roadin area, but a new build was not an option.  Further work needed to be implemented in order to finalise issues.  Once this was completed further discussions would take palce.     

E1

4b

GEOTECHNICAL SURVEY - EXISTING DEPOT

Minutes:

Nicola Debnam stated that a ground investigation had taken place in December.  This had revealed 2 diesel tanks (lying above ground) and 1 double skinned tank.  A survey had revealed petroleum hydro carbon, but this would not have a detrimental impact onto the site.

 

Councillor Colville made the suggestion of inserting safety bungs on the diesel tanks.  Linda Haig expressed satisfaction that the survey had not identified anything with an inherent risk and that a routine site clearance would suffice.

 

Councillor Colville was advised that the Rhoin Deport was still to be used.    

E1

4c

HSE

Minutes:

Nicola Debnam explained the rings on the HSE zones and indicated that the areas concerned are in all the zones.  She informed the Board of a recent meeting with Richard Kerr, which had proved extremely positive.  They had received notification that due to mixed use of areas,  HSE requirements are allowed and the HSE would not call in the planning application.

 

Action:  Nicola Debnam to arrange for a further risk assessment.

 

Nicola advised Board members on Kevin Williams retirement and the plan to appoint a Framework Consultant as soon as possible in the near future. 

5.

CAMPBELTOWN MARINA

A verbal update.

Minutes:

Stuart Green reported that he had received an email with the Grant of Offer.  He advised that a brief would need to be scoped on the technical study and this would be the first task for the new Framework Consultant when they were appointed.

 

It was hoped that the timescale would replicate the PID Feasability study, which would be completed in May.  He advised that Jim Mather, MSP, is now involved in the project.

6.

CAMPBELTOWN THI

A verbal update detailing the delivery of the Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) project.

Minutes:

Fergus Murray advised that the launch event had taken place the previous evening and funding was now in place.  He detailed that Members and guests had numbered 150 and the event had gained good publicity.  Fergus stated that the bid amount totalled £650,000 from CPP and ERDF.  This would target the Town Hall, Court House and the Old Schoolhouse.  In addition, a further £85,000 had been secured from the Future Jobs Fund and this would enable employment for 4 people on the scheme.

 

Fergus reported that the Royal Hotel is now a THI project as is Flemings Land???? which was good news for the local area.  He advised on the appointment of the new Town Centre Manager, Aileen MacLennan.  She would manage the Town Centre handyman and an administrative officer.

 

 

     

6a

FUTURE MANAGEMENT pdf icon PDF 41 KB

Minutes:

Nicola reported that Fergus Murray, Audrey Martin, James Lafferty and Lorna ??? were all working and learning in harness.  There would be a phased timescale to enable a handover from Fergus to Audrey.

 

Councillor Colville thanked Fergus for all his hard work and expressed that Campbeltown owes a great debt of gratitude to him.

 

7.

CAMPBELTOWN ALL WEATHER PITCH FACILITY pdf icon PDF 48 KB

A report proposing the development of an Outline Business case for the construction of a new All Weather Pitch for Campbeltown.

Minutes:

Board Members had received a report and PIDS were circulated.  Councillor Semple advised the Board that he had sought advice regarding the All Weather Pitch. 

 

Sandy MacTaggart had prepared the PID and would also undertake the Outline Business process.  It was envisaged this would complete mid to late April, once it had been sanctioned.

 

Councillor Semple stated the need for people involved with local sports to see this. 

 

ACHA are now stakeholders and would be invited to the next meeting which will be held on 18th February 2010.  

 

The Board agreed that Sandy commence work on the Outline Business process and present a report on 19th April 2010.

 

It was noted that the school had requested a 2G facility, however the community requires either a 3 or 4G facility.  

8.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS.

Minutes:

The Board agreed to schedule the next meeting for 8th February p.m. in Lochgilphead.

 

Action:  Iain Jackson would arrange premises for the meeting.