Agenda and minutes

Venue: Knockscalbert Suite, Kintyre Community and Education Centre, Stewart Road, Campbeltown with VC facilities in the Housing Meeting Room, Kilmory and Islay High School, Isle of Islay

Contact: Iona Campbell, Senior Committee Assistant; Tel: 01436 658801 

Items
No. Item

The Chair ruled that item 6 (b) of the agenda (Transport Scotland) would be taken at the point that Neil McFarlane joined the meeting as Neil McFarlane had notified the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group of a delay in his attendance. This minute reflects the order in which discussions took place. 

 

 

 

1.

Welcome and Apologies

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made.

 

Apologies for absence were received from –

 

Councillor Sandy Taylor

Lucy Sumsion, NFU Scotland

Robert Judge, Live Argyll

Jean Mary Knowles, Islay Community Council

Eric Spence, South Kintyre Development Trust

Margaret Pratt, West Kintyre Community Council

Cathie Duncan, Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association

Steve Byrne, Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association

2.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

No declarations of interest were intimated.

3.

Minute of previous meeting of the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group held on Wednesday, 7 August 2019 pdf icon PDF 88 KB

Minutes:

The Minutes of the meeting of the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group held on Wednesday, 7 August 2019 were approved as a correct record.

4.

CPP Management Committee

4a

CPP Management Committee Update pdf icon PDF 93 KB

Minutes:

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and The Islands Community Planning Group gave consideration to a report briefing them on the meeting of the Community Planning Partnership Management Committee held on 18th September 2019 and its consideration of issues raised by Area Community Planning Group Chairs.

 

The Community Planning Officer advised that the CPP Full Partnership Meeting will take place in the MAKI area in 2021 following agreement that the meeting will now take place at a minimum of every two years.

 

Discussion took place around the recent CPP engagement on the next Local Action Plans where 444 responses had been received from the MAKI area from a total of 1548 responses across Argyll and Bute which was a large increase from the previous engagement. The Community Planning Officer thanked Antonia Baird, local partners and Community Councils for their assistance with promoting this. The results of this engagement will be presented at the February meeting.

 

Those in attendance expressed concern that it was difficult to hear the Community Planning Officer via the VC link in Campbeltown. The Community Planning Officer noted that the VC link in Lochgilphead allowed her to hear discussions in Campbeltown clearly. Discussion took place around possible solutions for this, the Chair agreed that the Committee Manager should liaise with IT to discuss this.

 

Discussions took place around the origin of the Community Planning Partnership and its role.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed:

 

1. To note the contents of the report;

2. That the Committee Manager would liaise with IT to discuss solutions to issues with VC facilities; and

3. That the Community Planning Officer would circulate the Welcome Pack for the Community Planning Partnership to local community councils.

 

(Reference: Report by Community Planning Officer, submitted)

 

5.

Area Community Planning Action Plan

5a

Area Community Planning Action Plan Tracker pdf icon PDF 118 KB

Minutes:

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group gave consideration to the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Action Plan progress report.

 

The Community Planning Officer advised that MAKI12 continues to be classed as not on track due to issues outlined in the report. Clarification was given as to the responsible officer for this action and the Committee Manager agreed to liaise with them to progress an update.

 

Discussions took place around MAKI14 and it was noted that a Traffic Regulation Order had now been approved for Campbeltown but was yet to be implemented. It was agreed that it may be useful for the Traffic & Development Manager to provide an update regarding the TRO process and when this will be implemented.

 

Discussions took place around MAKI01 and it was suggested that this be classed as completed due to the works currently being carried out at Kilmory Industrial Estate. It was agreed that an invitation be extended to Balfour Beatty to attend the next Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group to provide an update on works planned over the 5 year period.

 

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed:

 

1. To note the content of the update provided;

2.  That the Committee Manager would seek an update on MAKI12 from the responsible officer;

3. To request an update from the Traffic and Development Manager regarding  MAKI14 and the implementation of the TRO relating to this;

4. That MAKI01 be classed as completed; and

5. To invite Balfour Beatty to the next meeting of the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group to provide an update on the progress of MAKI01.

 

(Reference: Report by Community Planning Officer, submitted)

 

6.

Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan 2013-2023 - Outcome 2 (We have infrastructure that supports sustainable growth)

6a

Argyll Community Housing Association - Annual Update pdf icon PDF 809 KB

Update by Yvonne Angus, Regional Manager

Minutes:

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group gave consideration to the Annual Report submitted by Argyll Community Housing Association. Yvonne Angus of ACHA gave a summary of the points detailed in the report and noted that a correction should be made to a figure referenced in point 4.4.1 of the report which should read £274k.

 

Yvonne Angus advised that outwith the work referenced in the report, the Exemplar Estates Project was underway which aimed to assist owners in estates over the next 3 years to improve the external environment. Yvonne Angus noted that consultations were ongoing with residents regarding future developments in the MAKI area.

 

The Chair thanked Yvonne Angus for her presentation.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group noted the information given in the report and during the presentation.

 

(Reference: Report by Yvonne Angus, submitted)

 

 

7.

Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan 2013-2023 - Outcome 3 (Education, Skills and Training maximises opportunities for all)

7a

Skills Development Scotland

Presentation by Anthony Standing, Skills Development Scotland

Minutes:

The Committee Manager noted that attempts had been made on a number of occasions to contact Skills Development Scotland but there had been no response and so no presentation was considered at this meeting.

 

Discussions took place around the attendance at meetings, with Councillor Armour highlighting that he had discussed the matter with the Minister for Local Government at a recent meeting. It was agreed that this should be highlighted to the Management Committee and that a letter would also be sent to the Minister for Local Government.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed:

1. To highlight non-attendance to the CPP Management Committee; and

2. To send a letter to the Minister for Local Government to highlight the importance of government agency engagement.  

 

7b

Kintyre Youth Forum pdf icon PDF 12 MB

Presentation by Kintyre Youth Forum 

Minutes:

Dawn Park, Krystal Allen and Aimee MacSporran of Kintyre Youth Forum gave a presentation on their recent International Youth Exchange trip. Kintyre Youth Forum gave thanks to the Campbeltown Common Good Fund and the local community who had provided assistance with funding for the trip and detailed fundraising events for an upcoming Christmas trip.


Attendees thanked Kintyre Youth Forum for an interesting presentation.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group noted the information provided in the presentation.

 

(Reference: Presentation by Kintyre Youth Forum, submitted)

 

8.

Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan 2013-2023 - Outcome 6 (People live in stronger and safer communities)

8a

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Annual Update pdf icon PDF 476 KB

Update by Duncan Litster, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

Minutes:

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group gave consideration to a report submitted by Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. Duncan Litster of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service advised that there had been no fire fatalities or RTC fatalities in this quarter. There were no fire related call outs over the 24 hour period of 5th November.

 

Duncan Litster noted that early detection systems being in place in homes and home fire safety visits were contributing to positive statistics for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service in the MAKI area.

 

It was noted that the Argyll and Bute Management Team have agreed to recruit a new Support Watch Commander for South Kintyre, this position is hoped to commence in mid-January and will provide further support to the area.

 

The Chair thanked Duncan Litster for his informative update.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed to note the information provided in the presentation.

 

(Reference: Report by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, submitted)

 

9.

Community Focus

9a

Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association

Presentation by Steve Byrne

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Steve Byrne and Cathie Duncan of Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association who were unable to attend to give a presentation. Steve Byrne of Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association provided the following update by letter.

 

Dalintober and Millknowe Tenants and Residents Association has had a close working relationship with the Scottish Government since 2001 when the Housing Act made Tenant Participation mandatory for Social Housing providers.

 

All tenant associations were invited to a series of meetings in Edinburgh and the Regional Networks of Tenants Associations were formed, there were 9 regions in total, and I was elected as Chair of the Network covering Highland and Argyll & Bute. Before the Network was established I was invited to represent the networks on the Sounding Board for establishing the Scottish Housing Regulator. As you can imagine a lot of discussion documents were circulated and these were brought back to Dalintober & Millknowe where we formed a view which I brought back to the Networks and then to the Sounding Board.

The work of the networks increased and more and more work was done by Dalintober and Millknowe TRA in developing various policies. This did give us a chance to influence policy, something that tenants have never had before.

 

Last year I was invited to represent the Regional Networks on the Home Health and Community Committee which feeds into the Joint Housing Policy and Delivery Group developing housing policy up to 2040.

 

More information can be found using the link:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=joint+housing+policy+and+delivery+group

 

Members of the committee included COSLA, Scottish Older People’s Assembly, Age Scotland, ALACHO, housing associations, third sector housing, disability and carers organisations, tenants’ representatives, private house builders and landlords.

 

As a tenants association in a small town at the beginning of the road we have the chance to influence long term government policy but we cannot do it by ourselves we need the support of other bodies within the community and will bring up any points raised to benefit the community at large. Points we have raised so far include lack of accessible transport, poor internet connections in some areas, lack of mobile phone signals, the effects of Universal Credit and the need for 2 bedroom accommodation if a carer is needed.

 

Over the years we have invited 2 Housing Ministers to visit Campbeltown and more recently we invited the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Local Government to meet with community groups and local Councillors. A meeting which was very successful.

 

All support for this important work not just at local but at national level will be welcomed.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group noted the information provided in the letter.

 

9b

South Kintyre Development Trust

Presentation by Eric Spence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Eric Spence of the South Kintyre Development Trust who was unable to attend the meeting to provide a presentation.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed to extend an invitation to South Kintyre Development Trust to attend and provide a presentation at the next meeting.

 

10.

Partners Update

Minutes:

Andy Buntin, Lochgilphead Community Council

 

Andy Buntin advised that work around regenerating public areas in Lochgilphead was ongoing and the application which had been submitted would hopefully be approved soon. It was hoped that this work would commence at the beginning of the year. Andy noted that funding of 0.25 million pounds had been awarded from the Small Towns Award and funding of 1 million pounds had also been awarded by the conservation fund. It is hoped that this will give Lochgilphead a huge lift and discussions so far have been very positive.

 

Andy Buntin advised that the Community Council have requested 4 additional disabled parking bays, including ones near the chemist and dentist in Lochgilphead to allow easier access for disabled people and that the response from the Council and Transport Scotland has been positive. 

 

Andy Buntin noted that in conjunction with the Council the Community Council have been looking at vacant land to develop and there has been positive feedback around this.

 

Andy Buntin advised that 8 members of the 19th Argyll Scout Group in Lochgilphead had recently travelled to Malaysia and assisted with building playparks in an underprivileged area – they will be providing a presentation to the Community Council on the 11th regarding this.

 

Councillor John Armour

 

Councillor Armour raised concern around the announcement that CS Wind UK are planning to make redundant 80% of their staff due to a lack of orders over the next 3-5 months. Councillor Armour met with the staff and management on Monday and noted that staff had been left demoralised. It was noted that these are highly skilled workers who could potentially move out with the area. Councillor Armour advised that he welcomed the news that the Scottish Government had announced an economic summit for Campbeltown in November as this could be a potentially dire situation.

 

Council Armour noted that when comparing the populations of an area such as Glasgow and Campbeltown the current potential loss of 90 jobs in Campbeltown would be comparative to approximately 9,000 jobs in an area the side of Glasgow.

 

James Barbour joined the meeting

 

James Barbour, Chair of the Farmer Buyout Steering Group

 

James Barbour noted that dairy farmers in Kintyre had attempted to draw up a business plan to prevent the Creamery from closing but were unable to find an economically viable option going forward. The farmers’ interest is currently safe as First Milk have agreed to continue to collect the milk without charge and process it elsewhere. At present First Milk have agreed to do this without charge but this could be a possibility in the future. Staff in the Creamery are currently working their redundancy period. The Farmer Buyout Steering Group have requested that First Milk ensure that equipment is kept in working order to ensure that the facility could be re-opened at short notice and that they retain the Mull of Kintyre cheese trademark.

 

The group have also encouraged First Milk to negotiate with the Scottish Government going forward regarding the facility and noted that the Scottish Government and local community had been very supportive. A crowdfunding appeal had attracted £94,500 worth of donations, this has now been closed and money is being returned to donators.

 

Councillor Anne Horn

 

Councillor Horn advised that 19 organisations have received awards from the Skipness Community Trust Community Benefit. Councillor Horn noted that there are currently discussions ongoing with the Community Housing Associations regarding potential new housing developments. Councillor Horn advised that roadworks at Darvel Road were on track and these had been well received. Councillor Horn noted that Tarbert Life remained busy with visitors.

 

Antonia Baird, Community Development Officer

 

Antonia advised that the Supporting Communities Fund was still accepting applications until the deadline of 6th December and encouraged further bids. It was noted that the fund was currently running with a 40% success rate and the scoring matrix is on the website to see how applications are scored.

 

John Bakes, Southend Community Council

 

John Bakes advised that over the last 3-4 months Southend have had mobile phone signal from Vodafone and 02 with a potential further mast giving signal for EE. John noted that the new Community Hall was busy and being used regularly. John advised that the Southend Bonfire had attracted 300-400 people and was very successful with no incidents.

 

Police Scotland

 

Police Scotland were unable to provide a verbal update due to an issue with the VC link. It was noted that a release had been sent to the press and social media on 5th November 2019 to advise that front counters of police stations across the MAKI area will operate a revised schedule from 11th November and be open between 7am to 6pm, 7 days a week.

 

 

Following the meeting, the following update was provided by Inspector Julie McLeish.

 

Tarbert surgeries - due to concerns raised at the Community Council about the loss of the local office and lack of visible policing, a Tarbert police surgery was arranged every Thursday afternoon in Tarbert Library for 4 weeks.

Officers who attended enjoyed meeting people and groups who were using the library facilities and 2 members of the public came in specifically to meet the officer and ask for advice.  The officers also undertook a foot patrol of the Tarbert area.  We are now looking to roll this out to a longer term commitment which is likely to be alternate weeks as we are doing the same thing in Carradale so it will be week about and we will keep everyone posted about dates for the roll out.  We would also like to highlight how welcome the library made us and thank them for their support to do this.

 

Changes to custody holding and office opening hours in some police stations - From Monday 11 November 2019 Lochgilphead and Campbeltown Police Stations will be open to the public from 0700 - 1800 7 days a week with lunch time closures to allow staff breaks.  This  has  ...  view the full minutes text for item 10.

11.

Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan 2013-2023 - Outcome 2 (We have infrastructure that supports sustainable growth)

11a

Transport Scotland pdf icon PDF 50 KB

Update by Neil MacFarlane, Transport Scotland

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Neil McFarlane of Transport Scotland joined the meeting

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group gave consideration to the report submitted by Transport Scotland and Bear Scotland. Neil McFarlane of Transport Scotland summarised the reports and advised that works were ongoing over the next 2 years with an approximate 6 million pounds being spent on the A83 over this period. Neil MacFarlane advised that traffic management signs are now more readily available in local locations to reduce the reaction time to incidents.

 

Discussions took place around a previous complaint made to Transport Scotland about alleged damage to drains in the Glenbarr area and Neil McFarlane advised of the recent changes in management structure within Transport Scotland. Neil McFarlane advised that he would report disappointment in the response to this and look into this complaint and report back as to what actions had been taken. Neil McFarlane noted that the area in question had now been subject to an accident enquiry and the Chair asked that updates be given up to the date of the accident to avoid any litigious issues.

 

Neil McFarlane discussed ongoing and future projects in the MAKI area and agreed to report back on outstanding issues raised.  Neil McFarlane advised that any suggestions for improvement works were welcomed by Transport Scotland.

 

It was noted that Transport Scotland have no objections in principle to the Council or Police Scotland performing speed surveys on trunk roads and it was agreed that officers would liaise with Road Safety Management colleagues within Transport Scotland to agree this and put plans in place going forward.

 

Decision

 

The Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group agreed:

1. To note the contents of the report;

2. That Transport Scotland provide a further update relating to the issues at Glenbarr; and

3. That officers would liaise with Transport Scotland to co-ordinate agreement and possible assistance with speed surveys on trunk roads in the MAKI area. 

 

(Reference: Report by Neil McFarlane, submitted)

12.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will take place at 10.00am on Wednesday, 5 February 2020

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Mid Argyll, Kintyre and the Islands Area Community Planning Group will take place on 5th February 2020 at 10am within the Council Chambers, Kilmory, Lochgiphead.