Agenda and minutes

Helensburgh and Lomond Community Planning Group - Wednesday, 15 August 2018 10:00 am

Venue: Victoria Halls, Helensburgh. View directions

Contact: Stuart McLean 01389 385 106 

No. Item


Welcome and Apologies


Apologies were received from:


Stuart McLean, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

Dawn Gourlay, Arrochar Community Council

Mary Haggarty, Arrochar Community Council

John Livesey, Ministry of Defence

Allan Murphy, Dunbritton

Councillor Ellen Morton

Fiona Jackson, Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park

Gregg McKearney, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service


Stuart passed on his apologies for his short notice in not being able to attend due to an operational incident which required his presence and thanked Morevain for chairing at short notice.




Minute of the previous meeting of the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Community Planning Group held on 17th May 2018 pdf icon PDF 65 KB


The minutes were approved subject to an amendment on the update from the Ministry of Defence.



Management Committee Update pdf icon PDF 128 KB


Samantha Somers updated the Area Community Planning Group on the meeting of the CPP Management Committee held in June 2018.



Area Community Planning Action Plan

Verbal update from Community Planning Officer


Samantha Somers gave a verbal update on progress of the plan and explained the reasons for no individual items being presented at this meeting.



Community Focus


Presentation from Welcome In


Margaret Mitchell, Fiona Lockhart and Yvonne McLeod from Addaction and Welcome In spoke to the Area Community Planning Group on the activities of the peer-led recovery café, Welcome In. The success of the group was noted with all but two of the original members have now progressed onto full-time education or employment and they are now actively recruiting volunteers.


It was noted that the Welcome In café is an add-on to formal treatment and partners were requested to support, promote and raise awareness of the service to any relevant service users they work with, with many partners around the table agreeing to do so.


Councillor Douglas offered to send details of a funding alert to the group. Jim Littlejohn invited the Welcome In to attend the Health and Social Care Partnership Locality Planning Group in September. Laura Cameron advised there was potential for the Station Trust in Garelochhead to link up with the Welcome In too.



Any other updates from community groups within the Helensburgh and Lomond area


Laura Cameron updated the group on the plans for Garelochhead train station which intends to provide services for veterans by veterans. The process for becoming a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation (SCIO) is underway.


Duncan MacLachlan from Arrochar Community Trust gave an update on the projects that the Trust were developing including the Community Hydro scheme and managing the Community Hall, Café and Post Office. He advised they were looking to boost their complement of Directors and were keen to ensure a broad representation of demographics.


He gave his view on the recently announced increase in parking charges in Arrochar and advised that the main concerns of the community were inappropriate parking within Succoth. He spoke of potential long-term aspirations by the Trust and community to improve the facility e.g. toilets. It was agreed that this be raised to the Management Committee.



Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan 2013-2023

The focus of this meeting is on Outcome 5: People live active, healthier and independent lives and Outcome 6: People live in safer and stronger communities


Rural Watch


David Armstrong gave a presentation on Rural Watch and advised there were 635 members in Argyll and Bute with 268 of these based in the Helensburgh and Lomond area.


Individuals can sign up to receive alerts at and can choose the types of alerts they receive from trusted sources.


It was agreed to raise awareness of this to the CPP Management Committee. Councillor Douglas requested that this also go to the Area Committee to raise further awareness and should go into the CPP bulletin.



Update from Ministry of Defence on the Maritime Change Programme


This item was not discussed


Health and Social Care Partnership - Strategic Plan Consultation pdf icon PDF 90 KB

Additional documents:


Sandra Cairney gave a presentation as the Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) is seeking feedback from service user and carer representatives, partners and staff on the development of the 2nd Strategic Plan (April 2019- March 2022), specifically on eight strategic areas of service change required to deliver the ambitions of the HSCP over the life of the Plan. This will take place during summer and early autumn 2018.


Further information on the consultation including how to submit your views can be found here and the presentation given to Area Community Planning Groups can be found here. The consultation will be open until the Autumn of 2018 and everyone is encouraged to submit their views.



Health and Wellbeing Annual Report pdf icon PDF 82 KB

Additional documents:


Laura Stephenson spoke to the report and provided information on local initiatives and membership of the Helensburgh and Lomond Health and Wellbeing network. The report was noted by the group



Partner Updates


Jim Littlejohn, HSCP, thanked everyone for their responses to the development of Jean’s Bothy. A representative from Jean’s Bothy will be invited along to a future meeting of the ACPG.


Allan Kirk, Police Scotland, advised that they had 5 adult volunteers for the Police Scotland Youth Volunteer programme and had identified 20 children to take part. Proactive patrolling has been taking place in Arrochar and Luss over the summer period  and discussion took place on the congestion caused by HGV’s using the A814 when the A82 had been closed recently. It was noted that signage did advise the road was unsuitable for HGV’s but it is not illegal for them to drive on it, therefore cannot be prevented from doing so. Allan agreed to speak to the Multi Agency Road Safety Group on the potential of resources for manning stop-points.


Neil Sturrock, SPT, advised that a report on sustainable transport on the A814 corridor had been commissioned to establish issues and opportunities. It was agreed to invite Colin Young to a future meeting on this. Neil advised that he was retiring and this would be his last meeting. Morevain thanked Neil for his attendance over the years and his input into local community planning.


Bobby Tourish, Scottish Fire and Rescue, gave an update on incidents within the Helensburgh and Lomond area and encouraged all partners to refer service users for Home Fire Safety Visits as appropriate. Bobby also gave an update on recent CPR events, Fire Reach programmes and the Cut It Out event.


Kirsty Moyes, Argyll and Bute Council, advised that an external evaluation of the Participatory Budgeting approach to the council’s Supporting Communities Fund was underway and that an update would be brought to the next meeting.


Samantha Somers advised that the Helensburgh and Lomond Area Community Planning Group would soon be required to appoint a new Vice-Chair and requested all present to consider taking this on. If anyone would like further information on this, please feel free to have an informal conversation with Morevain, Stuart or Samantha.


Date of next meeting

Thursday 1st November, location to be confirmed but possibly Cove


As the Chair is unable to attend the next scheduled meeting of the group, the group collectively decided to change the meeting date to the 1st November. It was intimated that Cove Burgh Hall would be the likely venue but this would be confirmed within the calendar invitation.